Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Device Identification for Game Sharing

Is there or will there be a method for one device "invite" another device to play a game or other collaborative sharing?  Normally, if one application wants to share/collaborate, it "invites" the other "user", typically be email.  The other user then accepts or declines the invite.  If accepted, information is then exchanged to allow for sharing (typically some middleware).  Ignoring the middleware portion of the problem, is there a way to identify one device from another in a user context?  Does the SDK/OS support a serial unique ID and a verifiable user name context (like an email)?

For example: device 1 (serial uid = "ABC234' + user = 'bob@mail.com')

For example: device 2 (serial uid = "ABC567' + user = 'bob@mail.com') (bob has 2 devices)

For example: device 3 (serial uid = "XYZ123' + user = 'sue@mail.com')

Application "LetsPlay", sue invites bob to play.  bob accepts on 1 device and not on the other.  Information is exchanged back to sue and the game can then begin.

Should the application manage all of this with some middleware or can the OS/SDK manage some of this?

Assume neither of devices are in bluetooth range.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Device Identification for Game Sharing

Not sure about the email part but this might be a good starting point for identifying unique devices:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/airapi/1.0.0/index.html

You could check the PIN of the device.