Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

Disruption due to quake?

I was wondering about this yesterday to myself, but saw this article today.  Since the Playbook uses a TI chip, I wonder if Playbooks are still on schedule to ship for an April 10 release.  The article states:

"Texas Instruments, a company whose chips will be found on popular consumer electronics devices such as the Motorola Droid Bionic and Research in Motion’s BlackBerry Playbook, has said that several of its manufacturing plant in Japan have been damaged and are now closed temporarily as a result of the 8.9 magnitude quake and ensuing tsunami that had hit the island-nation."

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Disruption due to quake?

This will probably have no effect on the first (few) batch(es), those cpu's are already shipped and packed into the hardware if they really are on track for a April 10th release. It does will have its impact later on I guess.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

There is probably a large batch of PB in a warehouse somewhere.  But this could delay continued production after initial demand is determined.  It could be bad if RIM cannot meet consumer demand after the initial release.  So, either TI/RIM will shift production to another TI facilities (decreasing possible delay), or is it better to delay the overall launch until continued production can be achieved?  Good production/logistics problem.

I still think they need to launch sooner than later.  However, if there are other issues that still need to be ironed out, they can use this as a valid excuse to delay the launch.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

My guess is that, for right now, there won't be any interuptions in product releases. There is always a supply in the pipeline between component manufacturers and the end-users of those components.  However it could be a very different story in 3 months once that supply is drained. We might well see product releases affected and/or price increases due to shortage of components.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

April 10th release date?

I've been hearing probably March 28th, more recently.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I posted a response to a thread about this started the other day on the crackberry site. 

I won't repeat what I said here, as I think these sorts of non-technical threads are best kept off this site, so we can stick to developer support and such...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!