Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Does anyone at RIM actually look at the Issue Tracker?

I'm just wondering whether the issue tracker is even really being looked at by RIM staff (even for non-PlayBook projects). 

For the Tablet OS issues, 39 issues have been created since Oct 25, but only one is closed.  That one did receive attention from RIM, it appears, but was closed in effect as a "pilot error".  I can see no others with RIM updates (though I haven't checked the comments for every one).

Of the 38 open issues, only four have received any updates on days subsequent to them being opened, and all those updates were from third-party developers, as near as I can tell.

None are marked assigned.  None have questions posted asking for clarifications.  Basically there's no sign that there is any reason for us even to bother posting there.

If the non-Tablet issue trackers do get attention, I suppose we can anticipate a surge of tender loving care from RIM people in the near future, maybe after the next SDK is finally out.

RIM, if you keep neglecting that source of valuable info, you'll pretty much train all of us not to bother reporting bugs, which will make the product worse and alienate your developers.  Please fix this!

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Does anyone at RIM actually look at the Issue Tracker?

I share your feelings, but I am not convinced that this topic will do any good. I don't have the impression many RIM employees view these fora.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer

I know of at least two who do, though it's unclear whether they try to read everything or not. 

I was really posting here to ask others who've been BB developers for longer than I have whether they are aware of the other issue trackers being useful places to report problems.  And whether they feel it's actually worthwhile to continue reporting issues for the Tablet OS, in spite of the apparent neglect by RIM.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey peter,

im gonna go ahead and be the devil's advocate on this one (dont burn me too hard haha). my theory why those issues arent being visibily worked on is because they've got a ton more left on their plate to work on. they probably have a priority list of other things that they need to clean up and fix that we arent aware of. after those are complete i suspect they will work on the bugs we have found ourselves.

so for now i recommend we keep submitting the bugs we have and will find so when they do get around to them, they have something to work with. its a busy time right now at RIM with the launch only a few months away. bear with them! Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

JRab wrote: 

so for now i recommend we keep submitting the bugs we have and will find so when they do get around to them, they have something to work with. its a busy time right now at RIM with the launch only a few months away.

The problem is if they continue to ignore the tracker, they'll turn off people who are currently willing to assist by giving decent bug reports.  And if they are really so busy they can't put one co-op student onto the tracker, then I fear the product quality is going to be way bad... after all, what are we reporting there but potentially serious bugs that they might not have seen themselves?

I've been on the other side many times, doing "triage" on bug reports, seeking clarification, reproducing, classifying, fixing and, always, updating them with progress and results.  Heck, I've written several issue trackers... and managed the teams that used them.  They're a valuable resource, but this one is at the moment not being treated as such, as far as I can see.

As for us continuing to submit reports... the problem is that memories are poor.  When I submit a report the problem is fresh in my mind.  There's a short window of opportunity to follow up, while I can still remember what I did, and am still interested.  If you leave it a month, or even a week, I'll likely say "um, sorry, I don't really remember that key thing you're asking me to remember that may explain the whole problem" or I'll ignore the question since I'm tired of being ignored and busy with other things that fit my own priorities.

I don't think there's much excuse for neglect, but my question was really meant to ascertain whether this is actually neglect, or whether RIM's approach (in the other trackers) has historically been different and more obviously effective.  I'm new here... just trying to figure out one of many local conventions and, yes, maybe nudge someone to fix a problem.

Developer

Just an update on this.  Lately (today, maybe some earlier) there have been at least a few updates, by Elena, who also posts in this forum.

I also noticed that in the Beta 3 SDK fixed issues they identify numerous bugs fixed, using identifiers which are clearly internal ones -- or something other than the TABLET-NN ids on the bugs we file.  That suggests there is an extensive internal bug tracker, and ours is just a "satellite" tracker. 

It would be really nice if they could respect our efforts enough to at least acknowledge bug reports, maybe tagging them with the internally assigned number as they are transferred over, even if for time, confidentiality, or marketing reasons they feel they can't update the external tracker more often than once after each new release.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

We appreciate your feedback and we started looking into the issues reported in jira.

Developer

Thanks, Elena. 

I see today that basically every last ticket created to date has been updated, with many assigned, some assigned back to the reporters, and lots of status updates.  I got an email for one of mine, and I'm sure everyone else is getting updates for any they reported.

Can we count on the response being quicker in future, or should we expect to see these "mass updates" only once per release cycle?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes, my tickets are being assigned and looked at to.  Feels good to be acknowledged.