Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A
Accepted Solution

Dreaded error 3500 with Playbook ANE

Hello everyone,

I've been tinkering with AIR native extensions for  Playbook but have been unable to make it work. I kept getting Error 3500 "The extension context does not have a method". I scaled down and made the simplest use case, the hello world ANE example. Same result.

I've searched the forum and the inclusion of 'bps' library does not help (). I tried debug, release configurations, explicitly cleaning the compiled files before building on both NDK and Flash Builder, removing and putting back the reference to the ANE, recreating all projects, nothing worked.

My setup is FlashBuilder 4.6, Flex SDK 4.6 with Air 3.1, NDK 2.1.0 on windows 7. I even reinstalled the NDK and redownloaded the Flex SDK. The #3500 error keeps appearing.

I find it hard to believe that the NDK or FlashBuilder would have such a flaw in them so I gues I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone managed to succesfully make and use an ANE in an AIR application on Playbook? If so did you do something extra to get it working or do you have a working project skeleton you could share?

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StateOfCash - personal finance management made easy.
Build great wireframes with MockItUp in a snap!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Dreaded error 3500 with Playbook ANE

I would suggest to connect the PB to your computer and run Desktop Manager. Re-install the OS from scratch. Just to let you know, this is a long slow process with the PB. After the OS is re-installed you will have to go through the completer process to set up its ID and etc.

During the install you may be needed to be in front of the PC because it will ask for some approvals for the OK and Accept when necessary.

Jerry G.
Contributor

Thank you Jerry but this did not work. I accessed the app logs on the Playbook and in air-log I find this entry:   "err: extension: use of native extensions not permitted (app/air/CoolApp-app.xml:1)"

This is very strange As I have the latest Playbook OS (with AIR 3.1.0.74), Flex SDK 4.6 (which packs AIR 3.1) and the xml has the 3.1 namespace. Also the extension xml has the http://ns.adobe.com/air/extension/2.5 namespace. If after cleaning everything up, reinstalling everything and following RIM's and Adobe's instructions ANEs still don't work on Playbook .... 

Is there anyone here from RIM who may have knowledge on this subject?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Do you have the permission set to allow ANE to run?
Contributor

Hey, thanks for the suggestion.

I searched around based on that and found that one needs to add the following line in bar-descriptor.xml:

<action system="true">run_air_native</action>

This actually is specified in the BB10 dev guide but there is no mention of this on Playbook part. Anyways, problem solved!

Thank you all for assisting.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon