Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

DropDown events

Can anyone point me to information about DropDown events? I would like to handle when the selection in the dropdown has changed. 

myDropDown.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, myFunction, true, 0, true);

The above doesn't do the trick.  I can see MouseEvents.CLICK events if I change the event above.

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: DropDown events

[ Edited ]

hey kaptuafj,

according to the API reference page:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/airapi/1.0.0/qnx/ui/listClasses/DropDown.html

the event that should be listened to for is Event.SELECT. I'll write out a program and run it to confirm.

Edit: Just ran the program and it runs fine. Event is fired and caught. just make sure your listener function looks something like this with the event in parenthesis:

public function myFunction(e:Event):void

Edit #2: Hey just used your line:

myDropDown.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, myFunction, true, 0, true);

and it started not working. if you set the usecapture argument to FALSE it will start working. unless you have a specific reason to setting it to be true, usually that option is set to false by default. also unless you need all those arguments usually just using this line does the trick:

myDropDown.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, myFunction);

here is the detail for the usecapture argument if you need a deeper look:

http://www.actionscript.org/resources/articles/860/3/Understanding-the-AS3-Event-Flow/Page3.html

let me know if that works!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman