Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

EULA before purchase?

I found a few posts on EULAs, but most were from 'the early days' ... so maybe by now some of you have a bit more experience ...

I'm about to release a type of alarm clock (revolutionizing the notion of snooze ... :-)) and although it seems ridiculous, I guess I woudn't want to be sued if for some weird reason it won't go off one morning causing the user to miss his plane to LA where he was about to sign a million dollar contract ... 

But if I show the EULA on first launch, users have already paid and may want their money back if they don't agree use it at their own risk ...  So two questions really:

- is there any provision to refund any unhappy campers, to keep the peace?

- is there anything in the Vendor Portal that would allow you to place an 'Accept' before the payment?

Or are there any general rulings stating that if you pay $1.99 for an alarm clock and it breaks, that's tough luck ...?

Thanks for any useful info

Anna

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: EULA before purchase?

If I could "sue" for all the times that my regular alarm clock has failed... I'd be a millionaire!  I don't know if there is a pre-purchase EULA step option but I'm guessing you could present it on first launch... if the user decides not to accept, provide a link to the AppWorld customer service and explain to the purchaser that they can uninstall and request a refund there.

That said, you seem un-confident that users will be happy with the app... is there a technical challenge that you need help overcomming?

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer

[ Edited ]

Haha, no - 'nightly builds' of the clock have been waking me reliably for the last few months, while I'm still working on the various niceties ...  But I've also learned that sometimes there are unexpected usecases that you never thought of testing, so seeing that for some users the app could be 'mission critical' I thought I might have to cover my but for worst-case scenarios (seeing how you always hear about how Americans apparently sue over just about anything, like "ouch, that coffee is hot - you'll be hearing from my lawyer! ... ;-) )

Edit:

Oh, and thanks for the customer service tip - that sounds like a reasonable solution.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Most will have an EULA at first launch. Most users will never read it and then just accept it. In your scenario, if a problem occurs later, they have already accepted the EULA, so your covered as well as the law allows in your particular state/province. If they dont accept the EULA, I just have the app quit. I would not be too worried about it. As long as you have a EULA and you have some limited liability protection on your company assets (LLC, S-corp, etc), then you have protected your personal assets. I would love to see a judge allow someone sue someone over a $2 clock app because it did not go off and there was some malice attept by the developer to do this.
Developer

Thanks John,  that sounds good.