Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

End of Offer till Consumer Release

A lot of energy was spent in the closing days and hours of the offer to get as many apps uploaded to App World.  We have about 2.5 weeks before the consumer release of the product.  Just because the free PB offer is over does not mean development of great apps should stop.  I am with my apps and I also suggest that we use this time to:

• Fix bugs
  • Finish signing
  • Add features
  • Create another app (2.5 weeks is plenty of time)
  • Improve the UI
  • Check Vendor Portal for good marketing descriptions and photos
  • Begin localization

I know a lot of new developers are here.  If you feel that your UI could be improved, post an image and ask for suggestions.  Try to put on a thick skin when you hear suggestions and those giving suggestions, try to be constructive.  There are a lot of different UI styles, but if layout and flow can be improved, then the consumer will have a better experience.

If you are a good graphic artist and can lend a hand to those with lesser skills, suggest what you can do in exchange for "credit" in the vendor portal or "About" dialog. (suggestion).  This starts with the application logo.  Goto www.istockphoto.com and buy an icon (search "icon"). (another suggestion).

Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: End of Offer till Consumer Release

I wish there was a wiki style area where developers can have cookup topics, interactively do some group projects.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Nice post jtegen.

Remember first impressions people. On April 19th, customers all across North America will be downloading YOUR app onto their PlayBook, and it's your job to make it look nice, work nice, play nice! Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

I could host one, if you think that would be helpful.

I think it will be helpful to document:

* FAQ

* Samples and Examples

* Project cookups if developers are silling to do a group cookups.

I also feel its better if RIM hosted it as a official area. No hard feelings to you, LoganSix. I appreciate you coming forward to host. But something official by RIM would be supported, managed by them and none of us have to be worried abt disk space, hosting area, loading content to 3rdparty etc...

Developer
My Device: Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Well, the offer is there if it comes to that.

I could do 1 or 2 things.

1 )  Open my development blog to authors here, so they can post their examples

2 ) Install MediaWiki or another wiki and go from.

Technically, I could open up a totally separate blog on my site and have people post there, without the need to post directly to my blog.

As far as BlackBerry doing a Wiki, I wouldn't expect them to do more than what they do currently with there help documents.

My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

Hey guys just a reminder and to prevent another pb wiki Smiley Happy there us already one @ playbookwiki.org just shoot me a message with your email if you'd like to contribut. Now that we're all done with most of our apps we could start filling this baby with qualitiy content to keep the forums clean and help new developers even more.
Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Developer

willyyr wrote:
Hey guys just a reminder and to prevent another pb wiki Smiley Happy there us already one @ playbookwiki.org just shoot me a message with your email if you'd like to contribut. Now that we're all done with most of our apps we could start filling this baby with qualitiy content to keep the forums clean and help new developers even more.

Thanks for the reminder, willyyr. I almost forgot about it. In that case we could use your wikipage to add content.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@tags07, note also that willyyr agreed to use a CC license (I forget which) on the site, to make sure the content is free for all.  There's little reason not to use that wiki as long as it's available, and having it not under RIM's direct control means we're not constrained by their sometimes slow efforts or their apparent tendency to avoid exposing any dirty laundry.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

I'm personally working on optimizing my UI for the playbook - IE. Finger swipes to change pages instead of button presses, top-down swipe to show the menu instead of icons on screen.

Also, I'm cleaning up the instructions and putting them 'inline' so users can read little snippets of advice in context instead of using a dedicated 'instructions' page.
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot