Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Flash Builder doesn't seem to be deploying to simulator:

Hey guys!

So here's the deal. I'm running Win7 with the Flash Builder Burrito IDE. I followed the how-to guide on BB step by step to create my first Hello World project. When I try to debug, FB seems to show that it has installed the application succesfully onto the simulator but waits forever to connect to the application until it finally times out with the "The Flash BUilder debugger failed to connect to the running application" message.

From the host machine, I can ping the simulator's IP, and I have enabled development mode.

I have inserted the correct Target IP into the Debug menu (it's 192.168.88.128) and the Debug host is the correct IP of the host machine too (10.0.3.136). I have entered the correct Device password too.

Scratching my head here now, what am I missing?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Flash Builder doesn't seem to be deploying to simulator:

It is suspicious that they are on diffrent subnets. Can you actually ping your from the simulator (if you login to it). The other option not to run in debug mode if you don't need to debug.

Developer

The reason why it's on different subnets is because my office uses the 10.0.x.x IP range. Not sure if this makes a difference. I can ping from my host to the simulator, but not sure how you ping from the simulator to the host. I tried running without debug, and FB seemed to succesfully deploy the app, but on the simluator, there is no app at all.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Try specifying as the debugHost the address your host uses on the same subnet as the simulator uses. 

It's probably 192.168.88.1 in your case but you can confirm by checking "ipconfig" and looking for the VMware virtual adapter corresponding to the 192.168.88 network.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Nope didn't work either. I am trying it now from home, where my host now has a 192.168.1.6 IP, and that didn't work either.

Developer

So you tried 192.168.88.x with some value of x as shown in ipconfig?

What about your firewall?  The debugger listens on port 7935 on your host machine, and the simulator connects back to it.  If you have a firewall blocking that it won't work.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Yup. 

As for the firewall, I have already disabled Windows Firewall totally, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Any way you can capture (from a log file maybe?) the various calls to each command line tool that the IDE is doing?

I don't know if it calls the command line stuff for everything, but if it does you should fine a call to "amxmlc", "blackberry-airpackager" and maybe "blackberry-deploy".  If you can find one or more of those and post the calls here with all arguments we might learn something.  Scrub it for any private/confidential data like passwords or the names of your folders or files that you don't want to share.

Or compare with mine.  I use the command line stuff exclusively, without problems:

amxmlc -debug -output MicrophoneTest.swf MicrophoneTest.as

blackberry-airpackager -package -devMode -target bar-debug -connect 192.168.1.199 MicrophoneTest.bar application.xml MicrophoneTest.swf -e file.html file.html
blackberry-deploy -installApp -launchApp -debugHost 192.168.1.199 -devMode -device 192.168.1.173 -password x -package MicrophoneTest.bar

(Those -devMode options should not be essential, as I ran fine without them for a month.)

Another area to look into is how you have the networking set up in VMware.  Are you using NAT or "bridged" networking?  Maybe try the other, whichever it is.  I'm using bridged networking so my simulator gets assigned an address by my router, on the same net as everything else.

Developer

Alright! This is very very embarassing. I found out I was actually trying to deploy on the previous version of the simulator...... So sorry for wasting everyone's time on this. Consider this a rookie mistake Smiley Happy

Developer

No big deal... and thanks for letting us know what it was! Smiley Happy