Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Flash Games and keyboard

Hello everybody,

I am new to the Playbook sdk and have a quick question about flash game development.

I have created a flash game for the computer and wanted to use it on the blackberry playbook. I have the swf file already, and it is in the resolution of the playbook. My question is, how would I implement the keyboard to be available on screen at all times in my app, so that you can use keys like wsad, jkl. could I just bring up the keyboard with a class? or would I have to make custom buttons (arrow keys for instance) that would be the equivalent to the keyboard keys( -> = d for example)

Thank you for your time!

Tayshun A.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Flash Games and keyboard

hey tayshun12,

at the current moment the only way to bring up the keyboard is if the user manually clicks and focuses on an text input object. even if you could pop up the keyboard it would take a lot of room on the screen and would give you very little space to play any sort of game. i definitely recommend you creating you own "keys" on screen and allowing the user to use those instead of hte actual keyboard. hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You could also add in gestures instead of buttons and keys, depending on the type of game.  Also, you have the accelerometer that can be used to tilt left/right/up/down and/or combination of each.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Creating custom onscreen buttons is a far better solution then having the keyboard take up half the screen at all times.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com