Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: FlashPlayer 10.3 released. For Android too.

Your requests have been heard. Smiley Happy

I'm looking into what I can share here.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
My Device: Dev
My Carrier: AT&T

Mark,

Really appreciate that you're active on these boards and able to act as a liaison to the internal RIM world.  Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Using the new mobile project types with the new version if FB is actually quite the ridiculous process right now.

The problem is, the mobile project types require 2.6, but Playbook only supports 2.5. Its not even close to what I would call supported out of the box...
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Right now, all I can say is that the BlackBerry Tablet OS will support the latest Flash player and AIR runtime this summer.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: 9700

So some time in the next four months.

Developer

At a guess the problem is that Adobe's engine needs to be customized for the Playbook, because Flash is wired into the OS.

Therefore it seems likely Adobe are the bottleneck. No doubt there's a pecking order based on demand. And since the Playbook is only recently launched it's somewhere near the bottom of Adobes priority list after deskop and Android.

When RIM first announced it was incorporating Flash I thought it was a fantastic idea. It may be heresy to say so on this board but now I'm not so sure it was a great choice. Browser based flash would have been enough.

RIM is now dependent on a third party that evidently isn't convinced Playbook is worth making a priority.

On the other hand it could be the delay is because they're engineering support for the upcoming wireless devices. In which case expect delivery by August.

Developer
My Device: Z30

@br14 Are you sure that the PlayBook isn't a priority for Adobe and RIM developers help them optimizing AIR and Flash for the PlayBook?
Would be weird if RIM had a contract with Adobe to use AIR on the PlayBook and Adobe didn't take it seriously...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@br14, given that 10.2 was out on the PlayBook basically at release (give or take a couple of days), and before most other things, I somehow think your analysis is flawed. There's every sign that Adobe is strongly on board.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

MSohm wrote:
Right now, all I can say is that the BlackBerry Tablet OS will support the latest Flash player and AIR runtime this summer.

Great to know that when you do update it will be to the latest version Smiley Happy

2.7 is rumored to be dropping in June... hopefully we can skip right to 3.0 or something a couple months after that.

New Developer

@br14 I actually think the Playbook has better support from Adobe than Android. On the Playbook, I can access both the front and back cameras. On Android (even on 2.3), I can only access the back camera. And it may not even be there in AIR 2.7 (for Android).