Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Re: Free BlackBerry PlayBook Ship Date

Yes, they ships international because I'm also from Poland and my package will be with me on Wednesday Smiley Happy (Now it stuck in Paris)

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

tick tock...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

i believe there are a lot of moving components here. a bit of bad luck, a bit of bad planning. currently, i'm considering the PlayBook a beta product that will lose it's beta tag (this summer?) when the missing applications and features are released alongside the 3G models. it's not a bad beta product if you ask me!

also i fully agree that to some people the PlayBook is considered free, but to other developers who have spent months creating an application the PlayBook promotion was merely an incentive. that being said, the great thing about AIR is that programs can be easily portable to Mac, Windowx, Linux, Android and iOS.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Yeah I suppose outside of USA breaks that concept since retail stores won't have them for a while... Maybe in your cases, they ship directly from RIM? This concept of hiring interns to stand in line at checkouts to then go to fedex stores just blows my mind... This has got to be the slowest and most expensive manner in getting us our Playbooks... Once again as we've seen throughout this entire process, another piece of evidence that someone is not thinking.

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

@killerspaz - You know that was a joke about the interns, right?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile USA

killerspaz wrote:

This concept of hiring interns to stand in line at checkouts to then go to fedex stores just blows my mind... This has got to be the slowest and most expensive manner in getting us our Playbooks... Once again as we've seen throughout this entire process, another piece of evidence that someone is not thinking.

LOL pretty sure that was a joke

Anthony
http://www.anthonyquarella.com
Accepted Apps: UpToDateTV
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

OH, no I didn't.. may not have been following as close as I thought I was...

HAH, that's at least good to hear!
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

@aphexyuri -- So when the Android devices first came out, did indepedent developers get a device before launch? When the iPad 1 & 2 came out, did independent developers get a device before launch? Only the big developer shops are going to get a device before launch. The fact that we got a device at all out of this is something to appreciate -- not whine about.

Look at the steps RIM has taken for us:

* Waived vendor registration fee -- perhaps for good.

* Provided very helpful walkthrough sessions via their web casts.

* Have given us two SDK's to take advantage of, with a native SDK coming.

* They are improving the SDK and development support based on our feedback.

* Developer support for Windows, Mac and to a more limited extent Linux.

Start up cost for us to develop? Maybe the notary cost, if you registered prior to April.  What's the startup cost to develop for iOS?  At least $1000 to purchase a Mac and a $99 developer license.

Now, also consider the people that have spent money on your app.  If you abandon support so early, what will your reputation hit be?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Developer
My Device: Playbook 16GB and Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

aphexyuri wrote:

Second to this, I had an app aproved in App World since March, and already have 30+ purchases...so there are 30 something users out there that are running an app that I was not able to test. This was a question that I posed to Prosanta during the first webcast Q&A sessions...so in theory RIM lied to us an used to get us to develop apps for them so they could say that they haev 3000 + apps in App World at launch.

It seems like many people are seeing the free playbook as RIM doing us a favour,...in fact, it is the other way round. RIM has not given us any advantage whatsoever.  If I knew this was going to be the case, I would have not  spent 3 months coding an app but reather just waited and purchased the device.

All this being said there is the added complexities an headaches that us developers face with the app signing and unsupported/ill-supported tooling...as an Adobe User Group Manager, am trying hard to find reasons [but can't] to support and endorse the platform...I even did a PlayBook dev Workflow presentation in a Adobe UG Meeting trying to boost the platform, but now strongly regret this and might have to retract my support an endorsement.

I have started porting my app to AIR-Android, and will cease PLayBook support and development untill RIM proves me wrong.

Well what does porting it to Android get you?  No free device.  Look at this realistically, the tablet market is VERY new, you have TONS of freakin time to improve upon your app and its not like all your potential customers are going to already have the tablet.  

I think everyone needs to freaking chill out because its not the end of the world that we don't have our tablets to test on!  We will get them soon enough and if we get bad ratings now that will change over the coming months/years as we get our devices and improve our apps and more customers rate our products.  But freaking out and bashing RIM over the head about us not having our devices before launch or a couple days after, those ratings and reviews aren't going to matter a month from now!

Fitbit for BlackBerry PlayBook
Developer
My Device: PlayBook♥
My Carrier: eplus

[ Edited ]

Happy Easter everybody Smiley Happy
We'll all get a 7 inch egg by RIM so chill out although I could shake as well Smiley Very Happy

----------
Please give free Likes if I helped you out! Smiley Happy