Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Tablet
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Free Playbook offer extended again??

so does this mean we have until april 19 to submit the applications? I am late becuase of the signing and build export is a pain.

Developer
My Device: Free Playbook!
My Carrier: n/a

NO!! The deadline is tonight at 11:59pm. Get crackin', and good luck! We're rooting for you!

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!
New Contributor
My Device: Tablet
My Carrier: ATT

Can you help me out please no compiler error just the signing and build using Flash Burrito

Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

nobleRobot wrote:

[rant]

Am I the only one who is sick of all the b'tching about all those supposed "freeloaders" who are clogging the PlayBook up with throwaway apps in order to steal $500 from RIM?

Do we really think that an army of idiots were reading a blog one day, saw news of the free PlayBook offer and said to themselves: "I, a person with no talent and no coding education, can easily whip something up in an hour for that! Ha ha, I'll beat the system!"

I am certainly not griping about lots of **bleep** apps by developers. I am certainly not mad at the devs or even RIM. RIM is getting what they wanted, a number, and most developers are getting what they want a free playbook. In reality it isn't free and quite frankly isn't likely even a good return on investment in terms of hours over development + submission time for anyone (Unless you work at a factory in China). No one is getting ripped off. I think most people who are getting the device are either developers, or web designers who know flash already not people who have no development skills at all.

But as I have said many times if you are an actual developer of any caliber at all you can get a free development device from anyone (except apple) and RIM knows this. So they clearly trying to get fast apps for just numbers. RIM is happy, people who get it are happy, also we should be happy because we need this device to takeoff and they need the statistic of "We have X apps at launch" to get it. There are too many other devices and RIM can't afford any real or precieved faults (the already aren't shipping with an email, contact, or calender client).

So happy all around (except for those who do grip) but I think we will all be okay in the end. By the looks of App World's number of apps it doesn't look like it was thousands of devs working (Well maybe 1 or 2 but I think less than 2k. And yes, this is just a general guess).

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

devbot wrote:

Can you help me out please no compiler error just the signing and build using Flash Burrito

devbot follow this guide

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/HOWTO-Sign-your-Applications-from...

Keep in mind you don't have to sign your app to be eligible. If you are having problems with signing I'd suggest you just submit it, and then tomorrow submit a 0.0.1 update that is signed.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

nobleRobot wrote:

Does this come from some sort of elitism? Is it that you just don't want anyone else to get a PlayBook unless they poured their heart and soul into their work, like you surely did? Can't we just be happy for everyone who got an app approved? So what if they only met the minimum requirement, RIM *is* looking at every app to check for soundboards and other purely useless things, and if you don't think an app is useful, don't download it!

As for the "health of the app ecosystem" argument, has anyone actually done a count of these apps to confirm this widely-spewed claim? Does anyone realize the enormous ratio of junk that's available in the highly curated iTunes App Store?

If you don't understand why someone is upset by an onslaught of garbage flooding the app world and negatively impacting the visibility and consumer confidence of their app, then you simply don't have enough pride in your own work. Get better, try harder, and then get back to us.

As for the health of the ecosystem, I believe this proves the claim quite succinctly:

http://www.telesmartphone.com/2011/02/23/global-mobile-application-store-rankings-blackberry-app-wor...

Crunch the numbers and see which company produces the most revenue per app. Protip: it's RIM. Despite having a little over 1/8 of the number of apps on the Android Market, RIM still produced more revenue with App World. Each RIM app was worth TWELVE times more on average than each Android app. If you still can't see the importance of a healthy, quality-based ecosystem, then you cannot be helped.

Developer

[ Edited ]

"an onslaught of garbage flooding the app world and negatively impacting the visibility and consumer confidence of their app"

Is that what is happening? Really? You know this for certain? Smiley Wink

Thanks for proving my point.

As for your link, that's talking about BB phones, none of the apps for which will appear on the PlayBook at launch. This is a whole new animal. Besides, those numbers likely have more to do with the consumer audience for those devices than the app selection, and few expect the "customer profile" for a PlayBook user is going to be the same as a Blackberry phone user.

And besides-er, those numbers simply don't support *any* argument in this debate at all, since you still haven't provided any evidance -- none whatsoever -- that the unwashed masses are coming to "negatively impact the consumer confidance" of your or anyone else's app, nor is there any evidance that there is a lower percentage of "useless" apps already in AppWorld. There's probably just as much high of a ratio of junk app in App World, right now, as there is in the Android Market, since they have nearly idential approval standards.

And even furthermore besides, those figures are app *sales*, and it's widely known that ad-supported Android apps exploded all over 2010's face, making enormous tons of money for devs that isn't calculated in those figures, whereas the ad-supported model in App World is less common (I don't have numbers for that, so take it with a grain of salt).

I'm sorry, but you still sound like a spoiled kid who doesn't want anyone else to play in his treehouse, and as an Adobe AIR developer who got a suprise invitation to this awesome party, I just roll my eyes at that attitude.

(And yes, I'm allowed to mix my metaphors)

Developer

[ Edited ]

Oh, and I forgot to thank you for insulting my abilities as a developer. Stay classy.

It's not that I don't have pride in my work, it's that I'm not a scaredy-cat who's afraid of losing a little attention to these no-talent amateurs, and I have a pretty solid faith that app stores don't work like haystacks, where the more hay there is the harder it is to find the diamond. (Yes, I mixed another metaphor, I'm entitled) They're fully indexed databases, for cryin' out loud. If there were only 50 apps, yours might stand out a little, but once you get into higher numbers,  1,000 is the same as 1,000,000.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

GoldenJoe wrote:

Crunch the numbers and see which company produces the most revenue per app. Protip: it's RIM. Despite having a little over 1/8 of the number of apps on the Android Market, RIM still produced more revenue with App World. Each RIM app was worth TWELVE times more on average than each Android app. If you still can't see the importance of a healthy, quality-based ecosystem, then you cannot be helped.

I think part of that is because of the average user's salary of blackberry owners is much higher than that on any other platform. Apps are generally more expensive simply because the users on the platform have more money. This is true in any market. Just the same way as when you buy the exact same product at an upscale grocery store for more money because they know people have disposable income. 

Now I am not trying to say the market is any different but I know I found a live wallpaper app which just plays a 15 frame gif over and over again for $1.99 on the app world (I am sure there are great apps too). 

GoldenJoe wrote:

If you don't understand why someone is upset by an onslaught of garbage flooding the app world and negatively impacting the visibility and consumer confidence of their app, then you simply don't have enough pride in your own work. Get better, try harder, and then get back to us.

I know GoldenJoe and I don't see eye to eye on this one but successful pricing has nothing to do with your own pride in your product or quality for that matter it is about how the user sees it. History has proven that if you are too proud of your products (in terms of price) you won't survies or you will only have a tiny market. Apple does this with their computer products and even carved a niche and it just happened to work for them because they don't want a much bigger piece of the computer pie (They have even said they can't handle a bigger piece). The iPad is proof that good pricing with a decent product (I think we can call it at least decent) can make for a complete and total success. Everyone thought they would price it at $999 but they didn't they actually priced it where people would buy which made it a success and we must do the same.

Clearly RIM views the Tablet market differently as they have removed the cost to submit apps and updates. They know the game is different weather we like it or not and we can't be too proud of our products(In terms of pricing) if we want to survive. 

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

1. We're not the only ones creating apps for the Playbook.  The free Playbook offer was an interesting incentive for people with Air and Webworks skills to create an app for the Playbook with an interesting incentive.
  2. The majority of 'simple' apps that are being created for this program might seem trivial to some of us.  But the fact remains that there are people out there who like to have a fart app to download.
  3. How many apps on average does someone actually download and use on their device?  In an ecosystem populated by 100,000 apps, there's probably a handful of apps that get downloaded and used regularly and only a handful of apps that actually remain on the majority of devices.
  4. This program does not represent the only source of apps for AppWorld.  The major software vendors acknowledge the arrival of the Playbook as a potentially solid player in the tablet arena.  Their apps will also appear in AppWorld at or around launch.  These vendors already have Playbooks in their hands to test prior to release.  EA Games and TAT are ones that comes to mind.
  5. RIM, themselves, are finishing up a slew of apps that will come bundled with the Playbook or be available at launch.  These include DocsToGo, BB Bridge, and others which means that the arsenal of apps available at launch will make the device very usable.
  6. The program has given incentive for independent developers who have not previously coded in an Air environment to give this a try.  It forced them to learn new development tools, APIs, and package and deployment techniques so that they will consider this environment for potential future apps.
  7. As with any program like this, there were people, I'm sure, who felt the urge to just jam some *bleep* apps in to get the free Playbook.  Based on this community, I feel that these Playbooks given to these people is a legitimite write-off to RIM based on the new crop of quality developers who have now added the RIM/QNX tablet OS environment to their skillset.
  8. Some of the 'lame' apps might become substantitive once the developers get their Playbooks and have a real environment in which to test.
  9. The app rating and review system in App World will help users determine which apps to try and which not to.
  10. The program produced this forum which, from what I've read to date, has turned some newbies with interesting ideas into actual developers who take pride in what they've produced.  It has also fostered others to slap some quick-and-dirty junk to submit.  When the latter is not downloaded, it might encourage them to either revisit or scrap their apps (depending on their own personal pride).
  11. I know that I've benefited from responses to questions posed by people intending to create 'lame' apps.  Even if what they want to do is lame, the answer to questions about how it gets done has benefited others.

The long and short of it is that this program has encouraged many who might have never considered coding for the Playbook to actually do so.  I think that the Playbook giveaway was a great marketing idea for RIM considering the cost of the number of actual Playbooks that people qualified for vs. the hadnful of interesting and unique apps that will differentiate the Playbook on launch.  You should also consider that if the Playbook actually sells well and becomes a viable tablet option in the market place, we are the developers who will benefit from the exposure from the get go.  I'm glad RIM did this offer.