Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook tablet
My Carrier: MTS
Accepted Solution

Get device serial number without "read_device_identifying_information” permission.

Hi,

Is it possible to get device serial number without "read_device_identifying_information” permission? If yes, how?

Thank you for future replies.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Get device serial number without "read_device_identifying_information” permission.

It is under the preference (gear icon) in the upper right corner. If you're trying to do it via an API, you have to set that permission for the desired application.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Get device serial number without "read_device_identifying_information” permission.

Requiring that permission protects against apps that might send that information somewhere to track individual users. It's to protect the user's privacy. If you could get around it (other than as John says by just reading it in the Settings pages), it would be considered a security flaw and RIM would fix it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook tablet
My Carrier: MTS

Peter and John, thank you for fast repliesSmiley Very Happy