Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

My Device: Not Specified

Getting Started with Aptana

I'm new to this type of development, what are the steps to starting a new Adobe Air project in Aptana for tablet os development? Do y'all suggest I bite the bullet and purchase Flash Builder?

I appreciate it!

Joshua A. Ceaser

Developer

Re: Getting Started with Aptana

Hi,

Aptana is Eclipse based so you can use it to run compilations with command line tools for free but it won't give you specific Flex / AIR features out-of-the-box. As it is Eclipse-based, you can still install the Flash Builder Plugin over it. Here is a quick guide:

http://blog.flashgen.com/2007/10/12/flex-builder-aptana-and-air/

Of course, you will have to pay for Flash Builder (one shot) but in my opinion, it's worth the money as it makes you a lot more productive

Fabien

Hope this helps,
Fabien

--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the white star and provide a Kudo!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!
New Contributor

this is a joke dev env.

The $699 tool doesnt work.  I keep getting internal errors on compile.

I actually like BB.

I hate how you are trying to kill this product before it's launch!

The dev env should be free (then I'll accept a few bugs).

XCode even provides a gui builder.  It is a joke that you dont!

I'm really trying to not freak out and leave BB forever.

BB DEV TEAM:  What are you guys putting in your pipe?

Developer

Flash Builder 4 Standard (you don't need the pro edition) is only worth 250$ and there aint any internal error or you are doing something wrong (either at install or your java params).

Just to clarify

Fabien

Hope this helps,
Fabien

--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the white star and provide a Kudo!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey electric,

i understand your frustration with the whole situation and its perfectly logical that you feel that way. that being said dont get too pissed at RIM for doing what they did. they are doing their best with what they have. this is only the beginning and a small part of what the playbook will offer. There are more SDK's planned for the playbook including Java, Native, and webworks SDK (i think thats all of them someone correct me if i fudged up the list). All of which as i recall will not need any special software to work with. It just so happens that the AIR SDK is the one that has come the farthest along.

So yes even though creating an AIR app requires a lot of overhead, its not the only option you will have once the playbook comes out. I cant say the same for Apple's prodcuts. Yes they started out with XCode but thats all they offered. The playbook will give you variety which is even better in my opinion. Don't let this initial situation deter you from supporting RIM.

That's just my two cents. Good luck with w/e decision you make. Sorry for going off topic OP! Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM

My stone to this garden: you don't have to pay yearly not so small fee, just to be able to put apps in shop (for me this is crazy solution). FlashBuilder is not cheap (or easy to use), but you can configure ant builds and use them instead of GUI (Eclipse is free), from which currently there is only few profits: code coloring (no GUI editor), service client editor (which generates code for you).

My point of view is easy: if this is worth that money, it makes your life easier - buy it, just to say 'Good job!'; if not throw it away, and use other alternative tools which lays around.

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications