Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Have PlayBook, Will Review

@sergeh, everyone...

This is NOT what reviews are for.. It *IS* for users to say "it sucks" ... As a user, I don't want to see messages TO the developer, I want to see messages to other users.

"The slider is difficult to use and doesn't allow me to actually do x,y,z. Also there is a bug when i tap on this button"... that doesn't inform the user at all whether this is an app they want.

While "it sucks" doesn't help the developer, it certainly helps the user - whether it be in an explicit manner or not.
I'd rather see "it sucks because it crashes all the time... doesn't even upload pictures like it says it does" THAT's a useful user comment.

Again, I don't think the market is the appropriate action to do this communication/help.. That's why there's support emails on every app profile. The average person isn't going to care enough to try and make products better, it's not their job - it's yours.
Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

@

you make an excellent point and you're right about the reviews being there for other users but as developers we also need feedback from the community, be it normal users or other developers.

We all know that most, if not all reviews will lack the feedback we need and that's why we need some kind of way to help each other. Your idea in the other thread was a good one but isn't very convenient because of the fact we have to send each other files back and forth.

I don't know about everyone else but personally I wouldn't mind receiving an email instead of an actual review from other developers, I would appreciate any sort of feedback. Benjismith already gave me extensive feedback and it was really appreciated.

--
Bitbox
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Wow! Amazing how quick we drift off topic isn't it? I explicitly asked for one type of post to this thread, app world apps you want to exchange reviews for.

Look, we're trying to help each other get the kinks worked out of our apps and if the reviewer likes the app enough to rate 3 or above then that rating will help the app stay afloat until the constructive feedback is acted upon to improve the app. Normal users can't be counted upon to provide that kind of constructive criticism, so we can help each other. There is nothing wrong with that. If I download your app and try it I am a legitimate user, even though I happen also to be a fellow developer. These are not mutually exclusive terms. Therefore if I rate and review your app honestly in app world there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with me being kind enough to send an email and not post a negative rating. If the upshot is that the app is improved, then the normal user will be served just as well.

So folks, please can we stay on point with the original goal of this thread?

Cheers,
Cliff

Dungeon Joe - A Touch-focused Strategy Game http://dungeonjoe.com
New Developer

Hi,

I don't have playbook yet but I am expecting one soon. I would like you guys to review my app and in return you can let me know about your apps.

Details of my app are :

Name : Konverter (Free App)

Plan to fix : I guess layout is wrong (Scroll bar appeared on playbook but was not visible on simulator). Plan to fix that.

Honest opinion is very much appreciated.

Just to let you know, I am new to this and this is my first small attempt.

Thanks,

Nitin

Developer

[ Edited ]

My App - Book Probe:

Please provide a review of my app. I am including a signed version of my free app for your review. The one on app world is a revision behind and once I reviewed it on the actual device, I ended up modifying the font and the size. So I am herewith attaching the latest & greatest for your review of the app and let me know any feedback.

Here is the app world description...

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/21339

EDIT:- Also, let me know of your apps so I can review it on my PlayBook device....Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

I am in.

My app is Idea Catch.
Known issues: The keyboard doesn't pop up right away on the multiline fields. (tap on the upper left corner of the text field to get it to pop up)

Thanks for the good idea Cliff!

By the way, I have had my PlayBook for 2 days now and it is really cool. Every one at work was drooling over it.

Happy reviewing!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Contributor

@daviesjm I tried your app but didn't post a review as it wouldn't quite be a 3, but it could with a few improvements.

First, the big EULA, is that really needed for a free app? I don't know actually if the App World EULA covers these bases for us, but maybe not. At any rate it is the first I've seen on App World.

Next, the initial categories don't match those offered in the category drop down in the new idea form, which was confusing. And when I tap 'New' to add one and fill the form, it adds it to the combo box, but doesn't select it, so it's not obvious that it was even added.

When I saved that idea, and it took me back to the light bulb screen, all the categories that were in the idea form now appear, including my addition, so it was disorienting. There were suddenly about 4 categories that weren't there before.

And finally, the idea I added was only tallied in the archive category. All other categories said '0 ideas', while archive showed '1 ideas'. (Also, note its a small detail, but the plural 'ideas' should only be used if there are more than 1).

On the whole, if these were fixed I believe I would rate at least a 3, maybe 4. It could even garner a 5 if i could also save a doodle with the idea.

All these problems are easily fixed, though, so please take this offline review in good spirit.

Cheers,
Cliff

Contributor

@daviesjm one other thing, I can't see how to delete a category.

oh, I did go back into my note and find the archive switch. turning it off put the idea back into the category. i must've fiddled with it while entering the note. Perhaps it doesn't make sense to show it when adding a new idea, only when editing an existing one.

Cliff

Contributor

@samasrinivas I enjoyed using this app, but i would suggest adding a manual clear button for the search field. I entered a book title and hit search before realizing i needed to choose author from the dropdown. I cleared the search field automatically and i had to type it again. Also, i would move the favorite button out of the author / title detail box; there is very little room in that box to scroll through the author titles. Maybe under the author / book pic. And make the NYT bestseller list items tap to search, you can only view the list and rank.

I added this review to app world, based on the online version and your note that you had changed font size. i'm not near my computer to try installing your attached version.

My app is Dungeon Joe.

Cheers,
Cliff

Contributor

@nitintripathi i tried your app and it appears the conversions work. however it is extremely hard to use. the fields and accordion buttons need to be much bigger. the transitions for the accordion need to be much quicker, it takes a long time for a pleat to open. also, the keyboard doesn't pop up when you put focus on a field. fortunately the keyboard can be popped up by swiping the lower left corner. but when you open the keyboard, it covers half of your fields, so you might want to push the fields into the top half of the screen.