Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Tour
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Help recording from stereo microphones in Air

[ Edited ]

I have been using this example for a template so to speak:

http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_SimpleAudioRecorder___Microphone_Access_API_AIR_2_-16746.html

While it does record, it records it in mono. More precisely it combines the mics into one channel and puts that on 2 channels, which could be an issue with the WAVWriter class I am using to save the file.

Is there a way via air to record using the stereo mics (Left + Right channels)? Maybe someone could direct me to an site/example using stereo mics.

Thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Help recording from stereo microphones in Air

I'm interested in the solution to this issue but won't have time to dig into it until later.  Meantime, a quick look at the Adobe API docs yields some things to investigate:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/media/Microphone.html#getMi...

"If you pass a value for index, you can reference a microphone other than the one the user chooses. You can use index in rare cases—for example, if your application is capturing audio from two microphones at the same time. "  .... "Use the Microphone.index property to get the index value of the current Microphone object. You can then pass this value to other methods of the Microphone class."

So maybe check to see if you can get microphone index 0 and index 1?

Developer

While that makes sense. When you call:

Microphone.names

to get an array of microphone names you only get one back. Which seems to inidcate it wouldn't work.

I believe they are both being considered one.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Thanks for the info; maybe stereo just isn't exposed via the AIR API's on PlayBook.

Developer

I was hoping that isn't the case but I will wait to see if others have any input.