Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
Accepted Solution

How to add a transition on application exit

Hi guys,

When I use navigator.pushView(View) there is a nice sliding transition between the two views. However, when I use nativeApplication.exit() the app ends abruptly, without any visual transition. The PlayBook itself uses a transition when the user ends an app that was minimized (from the task manager). I was wonderfing if we can add any nice visual transitions when exiting an app. Thank you!

--
Novel mobile games!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How to add a transition on application exit

Can't you just have your closing animation run, then end with the call to close()?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Probably not.  That is controlled outside your application.  Maybe add it as a feature request to the BB issues database, but dont plan on getting it anytime soon.

New Contributor

Thanks guys. On a related note: I couldn't find any guidelines on how we are supposed to exit the app. Are we supposed to implement something of an "exit" button / menu, or assume that users are always going to minimize the app and hit the exit button from the minimized state? I'm asking this because I noticed that the built-in web browser does not have any exit options -- it is supposed to be minimized and exited after that. Thoughs? Thanks!

--
Novel mobile games!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

There have been numerous past discussions you can find.

There's no consensus.  Many apps will not have an Exit feature, so users will definitely learn quickly that they just bottom-swipe to minimize, then swipe or tap to close.

For some apps, an Exit button or widget is appropriate.  For others it makes little sense.  Look at your own app and consider how users will work with it, and make your own decision.

The market will lead us, but for now we just have to guess...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Some apps have exit buttons, some dont.  Ones that dont will swipe up to minimize and then select the close button on the mimimized app.  Users can also swipe the app off the screen to close it.  If you have room and want it, then add it.  Once we all start having a PB in hand, my guess is that most will gravitate to the swipe and close method.

New Contributor

Wow, that was super fast! Thanks John and Peter!

--
Novel mobile games!