Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

How to build in serial number in your app

Does anyone have experience with how to build in the use of a serial number, if you want to design a commercial app? How should this be done? Are there any guidelines for this?

Eugene

My PlayBook App: Checklists
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: How to build in serial number in your app

If you are planning to release your app on the App World I don't think a serial is allowed (not sure though). If you insist I suggest to google it and find pages like this one.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

eugenevk wrote:

Does anyone have experience with how to build in the use of a serial number, if you want to design a commercial app? How should this be done? Are there any guidelines for this?

Saying this is "to design a commercial app" doesn't really explain anything.  What is your purpose behind using a "serial number" in the app?

Note that the qnx.system.Device class has several things that may be suitable but, depending on what you're actually trying to do with this, there may be better alternatives.  I'll guess wildly that whatever you are trying to do will be better handled using something we'll see exposed in the forthcoming Purchasing SDK.

As for zezke's "not allowed in App World" comment, I see nothing in the App World Vendor Agreement, the Vendor Guidelines, or the App World FAQ to suggest that a serial number, whatever its purpose, would be disallowed.  In fact, the FAQ makes specific mention of "license key" functionality which is certainly permitted, if that's your intended use.  The only thing that I can see that would impact on this is if your purpose involved something that would violate user privacy.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for your responses. What I am thinking of is to publish my Playbook App in App World with reduced functionality and make all functionality available when a user buys a license key. But I have no idea how to handle this / build this in.

Eugene

My PlayBook App: Checklists
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

[ Edited ]

Hey eugenevk,

a common thing to use for a license within RIM products is the unique PIN of every device. There are several options to use for product in AppWorld.

Quote From AppWorld:

License Models

This field specifies options for distributing license keys. You can select one of the following options:
• Static: A user does not require a license key to run the product.
• Single: You must provide a single license key that all users can use to run the product.
• Dynamic: You must provide an address for a web site that generates license keys.

• Pool: You must provide a pool of unique license keys that RIM can use to distribute to each user. The pool must contain at least 100 license keys.

Single obviously is not the best option. With Dynamic you could build an algorithm which generates unique keys and supply those to appworld which are passed to the users who buy your application. Within your app you would have to integrate a function which checks the key. 

With Pool you need to supply a webservice which returns a unique key each time a user purchases your app. WIth this option you could generate device specific keys e.g. from the pin or else. 

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

eugenevk wrote:

Thanks for your responses. What I am thinking of is to publish my Playbook App in App World with reduced functionality and make all functionality available when a user buys a license key. But I have no idea how to handle this / build this in.

Okay, so it does sound like the Payment SDK will play some role in your solution.  This was covered in a preliminary way in the 5th webcast which you can listen to if you didn't already.  Go to the Webcast 5 of 5 Lobby and register (which just means name/email) then start listening.  In the window that opens for that there are a list of links in the lower left corner, and you can download from there a PDF with the presentation.  The webcast covered numerous other items so you might want to jump through until you find the stuff on the Payment system.

It hasn't been released yet, as far as I know, so this is yet another "stay tuned".

Another thing I have no idea about is whether RIM intends to cover any of the license key/encryption/in-app functionality other than allowing your app to trigger a payment transaction.  I assume there will be some extra things your app would have to do for this, but generating a license key may not be one of them.  Who knows? ....

(If you missed the webcasts, you can see a summary of what they covered and from there to the individual ones.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Software Developer

If I use a "static license" is there any protection that prevent my customer from illegal copying? I think that's my main itention to build in a serial number check back.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

For those with more experience with the BB purchasing system, would this work?

for Dyanmic license.

1. Have a website that produces unique indetifiers.
  2. The BB purchasing system makes a request from the website for the license key
  3. App World/BB gives that key to the application (assuming there is an API for this)
  4. The application then makes a request to the same website to verify the key was previously requested from BB

Questions:

• For Dyanmic, how can we authenticate that RIM is making the request?
  • How does App World "give" the license key to the app?
  • Does the app have access to the license key?

There seems to be a large lack of understanding in how the Vendor Portal operates in consjunction with the purchasing API and the application.  Would be helpful if someone has made some headway with all of this.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

I don't have an experience with these in AppWorld, but I do have experience from some time ago (5 yrs ago) from selling on handango.com. I made a serial number that was generated from the user's PIN number. It was a nice idea, but terribly hard to support. Users would contact me when they upgraded devices and need a new serial number. Seldom did they have their original receipt or even the original serial number. After a while, I just gave up trying to check and just gave them a new number.

As a user, I've purchased an app that does this too. Trimble's Geocaching Navigator. When I upgraded to my torch, I had a heckuva time getting it to work again.

in short, I'd reccommend against the idea of unique serial numbers. It's a pain to support and its a pain for users.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

All the options on the vendor portal requires some type of key to be given to the application (key or serial number).  It is either a single key for all, a queue of keys or dynamic keys.  How is that given to the application?  Your biring up a point that should that key be associated with an actual identity of the user.  So does App World maintain that association?