Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

How to choose??

[ Edited ]

I am a very new developer with some programming experience.

Say I want to create a simple tic tac toe game which rich graphics, how do I choose my technology?

For playbook,

do I choose

Flash

HTML5, CSS, Javascript (webworks)

or Java Dev??

What are the advantages over the other? performance?

thanks!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: How to choose??

Do you know any of those to begin with? That should be a primary consideration, unless you're so new at this it would mean nothing. For example, if you're pretty familiar with web (HTML etc) page design, then going the WebWorks route would be best for you.

Java is simply not an option: there's no Java support for PlayBook (BBX) now, or on the horizon.

The only other option you didn't mention is "native" stuff, which means using C or C++. This isn't a good choice for you at this stage, and for the app you describe.

Performance is also not really a concern: any of the available options have more than adequate performance for tic-tac-toe.

I'd suggest you start with the web stuff (HTML5) etc and go from there. You can always switch and not lose everything you've done: the assets you create (images, backgrounds, sounds) could be migrated between the different environments.

Note that there are separate forums for WebWorks and the Native SDK, though this is still sort of the "flagship" forum for the PlayBook, which some people come to for PlayBook development stuff by default, unless their question relates very specifically to the other environments.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

thanks for your reply.

I have programmed using C, Java, C# and have couple of years of experience as well. I have also created simple websites using python/html/css. But after doing some research, I noticed that HTML5 is going to be a pretty big thing so I was thinking of getting into that. My main concern was about the performance.

For example I looked at this tutorial online and was AMAZED by what HTML5 was capable of. Result.

I am not sure what you mean when you say performance is not a concern for Tic-tac-toe. That was just an example but I would want to create something a bit more advanced in future (i'll stick to 2d though). I guess I want to know what are the limitations of HTML5 vs native C/c++ app?

How would the performace between native c/c++ app vs html5/javascript app compare?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

C/C++ (NDK) is going to give you the greatest performance, but you really only need that is you're doing OGL games (3D, etc.). If you're doing 2D board games, WebWorks and AS3 is plenty fast.
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

You will find AS3 to be the most similar to Java/C#

I wouldn't worry too much about performance. Unless you are doing a large 3D action game, any of the options will be adaquate.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Contributor

[ Edited ]

One more thing I want to clear up. I thought webworks is just HTML5, CSS and Javascript. Where does AS come in? Sorry I am a bit of beginner.

Also, I really want to create an App but I am a little surprised by the lack of tutorials. Is this it? https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/sampleapps

Are there more step by step tutorial I can find somewhere?

thanks!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Yes, that is WebWorks. AS3/AIR is a different programming environment using FlashBuilder for an IDE. The two really dont have anything in common except both can create a BAR file that can be installed on a PB device.