Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to install .bar on actual device?

Hello,

is there already word from RIM how we can install a .bar file on the actual device? 

For the BlackBerry OS you had the javaloader.

Regular Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: How to install .bar on actual device?

No word yet. I assume there's going to be some kind of sideloading function where you can copy a .bar over via USB and install it manually -- that's essentially what blackberry-deploy does. Besides, if something like that didn't exist, how would enterprises install custom internal software on their employees' tablets? They're not going to release that stuff on the App World.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

macwarrior wrote:

No word yet. I assume there's going to be some kind of sideloading function where you can copy a .bar over via USB and install it manually -- that's essentially what blackberry-deploy does.

blackberry-deploy actually appears to work through a small web server that listens on the tablet's IP address on port 80 when you're in development mode.  That implies strongly that it will continue to do so over WiFi once we have the real hardware.

I would also not be surprised to see separate functionality available through the USB port and available from the Desktop Manager program, but even if we don't, deploying through WiFi seems very likely.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

peter9477 wrote:

blackberry-deploy actually appears to work through a small web server that listens on the tablet's IP address on port 80 when you're in development mode.  That implies strongly that it will continue to do so over WiFi once we have the real hardware.

Back when the PlayBook was first announced, Dan Dodge (CEO of QNX) mentioned in the QNX "Deep Dive" session at Devcon that there would be one-click deploy and debug over WiFi to the PlayBook. I assume one-click refers to FlashBuilder/Momentics/etc. I'd consider it a fairly good confirmation that development mode on the real devices will work the same way. Obviously things can change, but in this case I don't see why they would.

--------
Taylor Byrnes