Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

How to make the test process easier?

Hi,

I've outlined a concept for us devs to make our lives easier. I could build this app myself, but I want to share the idea and the work (because I don't know if I have the time to do it). So the idea is kind of gpl infected.

At the moment we have the simulator with all its hintrances. We have signing keys, debug tokens and all this stuff. I havent installed the latest SDK, but I'm pretty sure I still have to open the command line to do all the neccessary stuff. I'm not using FlashBuilder.

My thought about testing:

I don't like the simulator. To get an idea about the feel part of an app it needs to be tested on the acutal device. But the stuff with the debug token is annoying, right. FlashPlayer 10 is able of handling p2p connections, as long as both devices are in the same network. You can exchange everything over the p2p connection, why not swf files? My idea is to build a frame app that loads a swf from your development machine to your playbook over a p2p connection. No installation needed, no debug tokens (or only once, I'm sure the app wont pass the appworld createrias).

The benefit would be that you could write your code, export the swf, send it over to the frame app and the testing is easy Smiley Happy

Does this concept sound right to you? Any further ideas?

cheers

lrrm

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to make the test process easier?

You will need to work around the app sandbox issues. Typically, apps can only load SWF that are in its own sandbox (app directory). Since your loading it from outside its own domain, you will probably get security error events. Simple test would be to load a SWF from app-storage or documents directory.
Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

it is possible to bridge between 2 sandboxes. the swf file from somewhere else is packaged into a special sandbox and you can send commands from and to the swf. (afaik Smiley Happy )
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You would have to create some kind of inter-app communication layer. AIR comes with inter-app communication, but RIM did not implement/provide that for the PB. The other choice would be a socket layer, but then you would have to map events on both ends. That might be interesting to test. Kind of a blank canvas that sends all user/system events to a desktop AIR application. Mouse, swipes, gestures, GPS, etc. Again, simple prototype would show if it is possible and practical to do.