Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Icon & fullscreen support for web apps (web clip) added from the browser

Hello BB Playbook devs, 

I created a WebWorks app that unfortantely hasn't yet been approved by RIM. I'm worried that it won't be approved at all and so I am trying to think of a back-up solution.

I know that apps for webpages can be added to the homescreen via the browser, I beleive this is called a 'web clip'. To recreate the experience I had on my WebWorks app using a web clip, I need certain features to be enabled. Which (if any) of the following are supported?

(1) Ability to launch the app in fullscreen (with out the browser interface)

(2) Abiltiy to restrict the app into portrait/landscape

(3) Ability to show a custom icon on the homescreen

Thanks all!

Happy deving Smiley Happy

--

Tareq Ismail | szello

How long can you keep it up? Keep Up! 2 for the PlayBook now available: http://www.szello.com/KeepUp2

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Icon & fullscreen support for web apps (web clip) added from the browser

Hello Tareq,

How are you doing? I hope all is well.

In regards to your question I would be happy to answer and clarify them for you.

Web pages added to the homescreen via browser as bookmarks. They are simply Web Icons. Upon a click, they will open the browser and navigate to the link selected.

Since these are bookmarks created by the browser, third party applications can not influence the way the page is launched, orientated, bookmar's icon. The icon of the bookmark will be set to the snapshot of the page when the bookmark was created.

From what you want to do, creating a WebWorks app is the only way to go.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Raihan Masroor
BlackBerry Development Advisor
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Icon & fullscreen support for web apps (web clip) added from the browser

Hello rmasroor!

Thanks so much for your reply.

It seems that WebWorks is the way to go. I did develop the app into a WebWorks application and submitted it to teh store. It's been 2 weeks now and I still haven't heard back. All my other apps were approved in 24 hours. My ticket id is 243391.

Any suggestions to speed up the process or inquire about the delay?

Thanks again rmasroor,

--
Tareq Ismail