Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Icon doesn't show

Deja vu! Have I posted here before? Smiley Tongue

Anyway, my icon isn't showing up as the icon for my app when running/debugging in the simulator. I only see the default 'question mark' icon. I've saved my icon under '/res/Icons/Icon.png' in my source code folder. And in the XML file I entered:

<icon>
<image>/res/Icons/Icon.png</image>
</icon>

But there's no new icon. My icon is 86x86, as stated in the guidelines, and resampled from 90PPI to 72 as also stated by the guidelines, in a transparent PNG.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Icon doesn't show

hey kai,

I have seen people run into errors when they are nesting their icons into subfolders. try putting your icon in the root folder where the blackberry-tablet.xml file is. then change the icon's image value in the blackberry-tablet.xml to reflect the change like this:

<icon>
<image>Icon.png</image>
</icon>

hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

[ Edited ]

I followed your instructions. But now I get this message when attempting to debug:

Error occurred while packaging the application:

Packaging failed:255
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.4\bin\blackberry-airpackager.bat" was unexpected at this time.

C:\[truncated]\bin-debug>

EDIT: I should mention that this only happens when trying to run in the sim. In Windows it runs fine.

Developer

wow thats weird right after just changing the path to the icon? Are you using Flash Builder? Try going to Project > Clean Project and then try to debug again. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer

Restarted Flash Builder, the sim. And I cleaned the project like you said. And now it runs, but still, no change in icon.

I even made sure to uninstall the app first..

Developer

does the Icon.png file show up in the bin-debug folder in your package explorer on the left side pane?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Developer

[ Edited ]

Yep, 'Icon.png'

EDIT: Could there be something wrong with my icon? I made it in Inkscape and resampled it in Gimp.

Another edit:

The details of the icon are:

Format : PNG
Format/Info : Portable Network Graphic
File size : 8.56 KiB
Format : LZ77
Width : 86 pixels
Height : 86 pixels
Bit depth : 32 bits

Developer

the last thing i can think of that works for some people is change the file name of the icon to blackberry-tablet-icon.png and make sure to change the value in the blackberry-tablet.xml file as well.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Developer

First I get:

Error occurred while packaging the application:

Packaging failed:1
The file with the path Icon.png cannot be packaged unless the descriptor field application.icon.image57x57 is set to Icon.png
Error: AIR validation failed

And so I clean the project and debug it again and it runs, but still no new icon...

I hope this isn't going to keep me from qualifying.

Developer

wait -- what does your blackberry-tablet.xml and your -app.xml look like? when you copy and paste it, use the little [c] icon in the text editor in the forum reply box so it formats it properly. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--