Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

In App Purchases Playbook

Are in-app purchases available to implement on the PB?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Apps: Instruments | ARTPAD | Piano | Drums | Xylophone
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: In App Purchases Playbook

Not yet. We had a beta version at one time, but they pulled back from that in the final release.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

There's an app called Story Time which appears to try to use the Payment SDK to let you buy additional books.  When I try to, an error pops up at the top of the screen saying "Unable to access Payment Service on this device".  The App World page for that app also has reviews which confirm others have the same issue.

Given how simple the Payment SDK stuff was, I am guessing it's not the fault of the Story Time authors, but an issue with the Payment service not being available to us right now, for PlayBook at least.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: I carry it myself

If I recall correctly at recent "Meet the PlayBook" event someone from RIM was asked this question and the answer was that it is "coming" but not yet available because of some legal or tax issues since in-app purchases are not the same as app purchases for tax or legal resasons and RIM is trying to work this out. (i.e. when you buy an app you are buying actual product while in app purchase is more virtual / service non "physical" item which is challenging).. I think thats how I understood but someone may have more accurate information on this.

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

I believe that the tax issue was in regards to using virtual curencies, because they already have in-app payments up and running for java phone apps.

I really hope that RIM gets the Payment and Advertising SDK's on the PlayBook soon. Without them there are some app ideas that just can't be monetarily justified.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
New Developer
My Device: Playbook and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Funny. my PB app with In App Purchases was just approved today. I guess RIM wouldn't look too kindly on me changing the code just to call Paypal, would they?

Joseph
Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

hey Story Time has got the inapp working fine , users just need to upgrade their OS

New Developer
My Device: Playbook and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

Yes, and it's great!  I've started to see purchases...

Joseph

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

cool. can anybody point me to more information on in-app purchases for developers (such as a HowTo, or some documentation + examples)?

appreciate it!

---

Playbook app: Fuel Dashboard

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10