Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Playbook

Install app on device without going through App World?

I have a client that has a Playbook.  I'd like to send them the bar file now to test my app without having to wait until it gets approved in the App World.  Can this be done?  How?

Don Kerr
Manager, Space City Adobe User Group
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Install app on device without going through App World?

As I doubt anyone here will know the exact answer to this I can only offer a suggestion:

See if you can enable developer mode on the device (as you do on the sim) and then install the .bar file wirelessly from the command line.

I know many of us are anxious to see if this works so please let us know!
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

As jffurlan says, they can simply install it from the command line, assuming the unit they have has support for enabling Development Mode in the settings.

They'd need to do that, including setting the password to be used.  They need to establish a network connection, and note what it is.

Then on a computer (PC, Mac, Linux), download and install the AIR SDK from Adobe, and the PlayBook SDK, following the usual instructions for doing that.  (The AIR SDK is needed merely to satisfy the PlayBook SDK installer, even though they aren't going to be using it.)

Once it's installed, they will have a "blackberry-deploy" file somewhere in the bin/ folder of the SDK installation.  They'd need to put your .bar file someplace accessible, then (with that utility accessible via the PATH) do the following with appropriate substitutions based on the info they gathered above:

blackberry-deploy -installApp -launchApp -device X.X.X.X -password YYYY -package YourApp.bar 

Obviously you'll need the person who does this to be fairly computer literate, or you may end up spending hours walking them through the process.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer

Can you provide more detailed steps as to how to install it wirelessly?  I've never done this before.

Thanks!

Don Kerr
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
New Developer

sorry. just saw peter's response.  thanks!

Don Kerr
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Glad Peter chimed in on this one - i had no idea the air sdk wasn going to be needed (however it makes sense now that i think about it).

Let us know if this works! (Or if your users device even has a development mode)

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -