Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

Installing to simulator every time is so slow. Alternatives?

[ Edited ]

It's getting very tiring waiting for apps to install and launch on the VMWare Simulator to test them. Man Sad

Is there any way to test QNX AIR apps directly in the AIR Desktop Debugger?

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Re: Installing to simulator every time is so slow. Alternatives?

Well, what do you consider slow?  It takes a few seconds ( ten - fifteen tops ) to install to simulator.  My applications might be smaller than yours, though.  How big is your app?  My average application is less than 1 meg in size.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I do 99% of my testing as an AIR application and only work in the simulator for things that do not work in AIR (dialogs, QNXwebview).  What other things are you doing only works in the simulator?

Yes, it can take 15ish seconds to connection, transfer, remove, install, and start a single application.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

(Edit: removed incorrect comment about qnx.* packages not working on the desktop.)

How slow is it though?  Is it the size of your install?  Or the launch time is slow?  Presumably the latter could be improved by restructuring the application in some way (e.g. using lazy-loading).  The former could be resolved, for testing purposes, by preloading your huge assets (assuming that's the problem) and not bundling those with each test build.  I think there are several approaches to doing that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

All the QNX controls work fine in AIR (except for QNX web view, dialog, Device and a couple others that depend in a PB service).  What other controls have you seen to cause a problem?

Developer
My Device: Playbook

I am the same, I usually write and test in a normal Air window, then move over to simulator as well.  The only thing I have seen an issue with was a qnx alert dialog.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer

kdittyr wrote:

I am the same, I usually write and test in a normal Air window, then move over to simulator as well.  The only thing I have seen an issue with was a qnx alert dialog.

How do we "test in normal Air Window"?

Right now I'm designing layouts for various screens and I'm not using any QNX specific packages.

How do I test the apps as normal AIR apps?

Developer

[ Edited ]

If you're in FB, you just run it (green button with white arrow).  If you're running at the command line, you can use "adl" on the AIR xml file (adl myapp-app-xml).

Developer

The run button seems to launch the app in simulator.

jtegen wrote:

If you're in FB, you just run it (green button with white arrow).  If you're running at the command line, you can use "adl" on the AIR xml file (adl myapp-app-xml).

Developer

That is how your run configuration is set up.  You can create a run configuration to execute the desk top of AIR instead of the simulator.