Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Is it time to pull your app from sale?

Seeing how some folk are reporting that their apps are being given negative reviews already and that there appears to be some issues regarding real-life use vs. the simulator, I'm leaning towards pulling my app, and working on some refinement while I wait for the PlayBook to arrive.

As mine is timer-based, I need to know how the application will be affected with the pause / standy states.

I did help my brother with an app and I'm going to suggest the same thing to him.

How does everyone else feel about their apps on the eve of release? Are you going to have faith in the reviewers or do you feel that an untested app shouldn't be 'out there'?

And please, this is not a topic for RIMs failure to send out tablets - let's just stick to our apps, yes?

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is it time to pull your app from sale?

It has been confirmed that reviews will be reset on launch day, it will still be too late to correct bugs and resubmit though.

Since the app I released is free I don't mind leaving it on AppWorld but that would be a different story if I was charging people for an app that I'm uncertain of how it performs on the actual device.

--
Bitbox
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I don't see what could possibly go wrong with an application that simple. I wouldn't pull it for fear of device issues. If there's a problem, you won't be the only one. Just keep an eye on it during the first few days.

Developer

I think the key point is that a free app isn't affected so much by a bad review here or there, I suppose.

The stuff I want to develop as paid needs a device so that I can test some real-world situations.

Nice to get some thoughts on the matter. Puts my mind at ease somewhat.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

cas118 wrote:
As mine is timer-based, I need to know how the application will be affected with the pause / standy states.

If you can describe basically what model you used for doing your timing, I can probably tell you fairly easily whether it is likely to be affected or not.

You may also be able to test it yourself in the simulator.  I haven't done this myself yet to observe if it has any effect, but if you put this between <qnx> and </qnx> tags in your blackberry-tablet.xml file, it may make your app act in the simulator much as it will in the 1.0 device when either Default or Paused modes are used:

<inactivePowerMode>standby</inactivePowerMode>

Alternatively, or in addition (since we don't know if either of these will work in the sim yet), you can import qnx.system.QNXSystem and qnx.system.QNXSystemPowerMode and do this:

QNXSystem.system.inactivePowerMode = QNXSystemPowerMode.STANDBY;

Unfortunately, if you do this and see no change in behaviour, it doesn't mean your app will definitely work.  But if you do it and it stops working properly, I believe it's a strong indication that it's showing you how your app will work for most people on the real device.

I'll try to verify any of this soon, unless anyone else can shed more light on it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

By the way, if you hadn't realized, those changes would only have an effect on the app when it's not the active one, so don't expect it to do anything noticeable if you just run your app and play with it normally.  Launch another app, and after a bit go back to your own and see if it responded the way you expected (e.g. timer advancing properly etc).

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Well, I've just spotted an active-state bug - but it's not a show stopper so I'll let me free app stay in the wild.

The games I'm developing will be paid-for apps and I'm sitting tight until I get the hardware anyway, so I don't think I have to worry about this. Just one of those things that didn't really occur to me.

Anyway, launch day is almost upon us so good luck to everyone who has their apps out there!

Developer

Okay, so either of the two approaches I showed earlier appears to work with the simulator.

In the 1.0 release, the default inactivePowerMode setting is apparently "standby", whereas in the simulator it is "throttled".  Using the blackberry-tablet.xml file entry that I showed, or system.inactivePowerMode, you can set it to "standby" and I believe that will more closely reflect what you'll see most of the time in the real device.

One thing that surprised me, is that I was pretty sure from past experiments that the frameRate dropped to 3 whenever the app was inactive, in the simulator.  This corresponds roughly to the other effect of "throttled", which is that your frameRate would be dropped to 4fps as long as your app is inactive.  I can't think right now why it's apparently no longer doing that in the simulator... maybe I only imagined it before, or maybe it changed in 0.9.4.  Smiley Sad

I'd look into this more, but at this point I don't trust almost anything I haven't observed with my own eyes, so I'm just sitting tight until we have real hardware.

If anyone wants advice on whether any of this may affect their app, please provide some relevant details about how you implemented things, and I'm happy to give guidance on this.  Most apps will work fine in the real thing, at least as far as any of these power-mode-related settings is concerned, since few apps actually care whether anything happens to them when inactive.  If your app is fine with effectively being "frozen" when inactive, I don't think you should have any concern, even though it isn't completely frozen by default in the simulator.

Developer

@cas118, it might be helpful to others if you could describe basically the nature of the bug, at least what you observed.  It may not be a show-stopper for you, but for others it might make a lot of difference.  I assume you saw that by testing with the inactivePowerMode set to "standby" as I suggested at first?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

RIM very kindly allows you to deny any negative review.

So you don't need to worry too much.

However, if you can afford the expense, and haven't received a Playbook by the 19th, I'd go and buy a Playbook as soon as you can and test your app. Perhaps you could share the device with someone.

You can give the free device away as a gift or mount it in a frame for posterity Smiley Happy