Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

Isn't it a bit unfair for app updates to use up 10 submission limit?

[ Edited ]

First, I don't have an app approved yet.

I always intend to support my application with free updates. Why does RIM count the app updates towards 10 submission limit? I feel it's a bit cruel..

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Isn't it a bit unfair for app updates to use up 10 submission limit?

Currently, BB has suspended limits and fees.  I agree that an update, especially if its a bug fix, should not go against any limits that might be in place at the time.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

I find this annoying as well.

I understand the logic  - they're charging a small fee to cover the cost of looking over your code and making sure that it's all legit and can be posted in their store (at least that's how I understand it anyway...), and any update they'll have to check over as well. But I feel it's really counterproductive because it means that developers are incentivized not to update their apps whenever they want to add something but instead wait and bundle small updates together and only push out critical updates.

I wish there were no fees for apps at all (after all, they're already getting 30%), but the updates also getting hit with the fee is particularly irksome.

I'm quite happy though that they've emporarily waived the fees as I think that's a great step toward working more closely with developers along with the free Playbook promotion.

We'll see where things go. I'm hoping for even more cooperation from RIM Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

i agree its really high. may even seem absurdly high. i mean apples market entrance is just $99 a year with unlimited submissions and android's is just $25. BB's $200 for just ten apps is ridiculous. i understand its more of a corporate atmostphere and they tend ot spend more than normal consumers, but the line between their consumer market and business market is beginning to blur. so i hope costs go down significantly. free is most likely not doable but a fee for unlimited doesnt sound as bad. hoipe things comes around.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: I carry it myself

From the user perspective however this may be a good thing since I am annoyed with the apps which have "minor" update every fewe days and force me to re-download every time it is updated...  I would rather prefer more "richer" update less frequently than smaller updates every few days should this restriction be waived... There are always to sides to everything Smiley Wink

... But I feel it's really counterproductive because it means that developers are incentivized not to update their apps whenever they want to add something but instead wait and bundle small updates together and only push out critical updates. ....

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

[ Edited ]

p3pp3r wrote:

From the user perspective however this may be a good thing since I am annoyed with the apps which have "minor" update every fewe days and force me to re-download every time it is updated...  I would rather prefer more "richer" update less frequently than smaller updates every few days should this restriction be waived... There are always to sides to everything Smiley Wink

... But I feel it's really counterproductive because it means that developers are incentivized not to update their apps whenever they want to add something but instead wait and bundle small updates together and only push out critical updates. ....

Imagine if a developer releases a nice 'hefty' update and there's a critical bug in it. Wouldn't you prefer the other way?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: I carry it myself

I would expect all the releases be throughly tested... ;-)

Just kidding --- i agree in this scenario it sucks.

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.