Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Alpha C
My Carrier: claro

Re: It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Hi.  which is the highest version Adobe Air that supports the Android BB runtime?

thanks.

*Hope AIR devs can publish to "build for BB" any time Soon.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telcel

Hi DitoAu!

Currently, AIR apps are allowed to apply for the Built for Blackberry program. With this announced update however, approved AIR apps will lose their BfB status, and won't be able to reapply unless they are ported to an accepted alternative, or until Android runtime apps are accepted into the BfB program (I doubt that it would happen, since it would semi-defeat the purpose of the program).

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the initial shock, and after some testing with the android packaging, it looks like Air inside android inside blackberry is not that bad. Appart from some little bugs (Air on android seems to give me a different time, and loading a swf on a swf seems to be taking a bit more than expected?), it starts to feel like a viable solution, for me.

I'm curious about how possible would it be to do something equivalent to building ANEs for blackberry features not suported by default on AIR or the android runtime. Maybe something like, Write an ANE for android which in turn call something external on native blackberry which them the AIR runtime can work with...?

Also, as an user, I'm a bit worried about what will happen to flash content inside the browser. After beeing an iOS user for sometime, it was a nice surprise to see some flash support on blackberry. I have the feeling that this support will be removed, and I don't see a good reason nor a good substitute for it.

Could you please keep the current support for flash in the browser?

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

UberschallSamsara wrote

It would be good to get a compelling technical explanation from BlackBerry as to why the existing runtime and dependent apps could not just be left in a legacy state in future BB10 releases.  Does it take up too much storage space?

Currently the word seems to be that BlackBerry is doing this in order to avoid paying licensing fees to Adobe...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

Ebscer wrote:

Currently the word seems to be that BlackBerry is doing this in order to avoid paying licensing fees to Adobe...

Thanks for the info.  

I wonder if Adobe could cut them a cheaper (or free) deal to let BlackBerry continue to ship a legacy version.  I wonder if they asked.

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

MSohm wrote:

Provided that your app does not rely on AIR native extensions, most Adobe AIR apps for BlackBerry can be recompiled for Android using this technique with little or no code changes.

BAM! Of course we are using those

Sorry to say, you bet I'm NOT going to port all my apps

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

If the Adobe licensing fee is the reason, then why can't BlackBerry continue to pay that fee for a longer but still finite period of time, say a year.  

That would give devs and users plenty of time to sort things out, vs. a surprise 2 month offramp.

And again, if BlackBerry didn't ask Adobe for a low-fee/no-fee deal on licensing a legacy AIR SDK in order to make a smoother transition, maybe they should.

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

ZwickTheGreat wrote:

I've downloaded AIR SDK last week to port my game. Now I'm dissapointed and I'm not sure if I should continue in porting. Isn't it waste of time?

Yes it is. Just don't.

PS: I like how you registered in the forums just for this. Thumbs up on your device/carrier

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

That's a poor excuse Mark.

If we made BFB AIR apps - they can't be ported to Android without losing BFB status and requiring large rewrites. In fact, probably 95 percent of AIR apps can't be just built as APKS and ported over - no offense that's a stupid response.

I also am not about to rewrite 80 apps on Cascades (BlackBerry only - useless otherwise) or WebWorks (unencrypted data files means your source code can be stolen). Which means the second you roll out 10.3.1 - say good bye to approximately 80 of my games and apps - some of which have been top sellers on your platform and others. And when users emailing me asking why my top sellers aren't on your platform - I will be very happy to explain.  

Now that you mention Android, maybe your right maybe we shouldn't be building for this platform...  All you have shown here is why building for blackberry and using blackberry API's yet again screws developers as you abandon them and leave them in the dark. 

If you want to pull my apps and turn your back on us (telling us to go build for android and convert the APK. Are you kidding me?) maybe it makes sense for some of us do the same to blackberry. You ignore us enough as it is - I don't think you'll even notice as you lose more good developers to thousands of app generator apps. But if I'm going to switch to a completely new IDE and language - you had better consider that carefully from my perspective.  As some of us will make that decision based on user counts and our past experiences with that company. 

For users complaining about this to me going forward - who can I forward them to from BlackBerry? I need to update this on 80+ app descriptions, auto responses, updates on why I'm cancelling patches and updates. Thanks. 

In the meantime I will start communicating to my users. Twitter, Facebook and the blogs including why I'm cancelling updates to Secure Antivirus effective immediately and moving it to Android only. If it is so simple to rewrite and port the apps - are you going to pay for the hours it takes to recode these or do the work yourself? I didn't think so. We get it, you no longer give a **bleep** about us - we are expendable. And if we don't like it, too bad so sad. Our fault for building for blackberry. So ok - I get it. Lesson learned and thanks for giving up on us so quickly.

Why switch to cascades or WebWorks?   Webworks and Cascades may not be far behind. 

Not to mention ... are you ignorant of the fact you can't change the IDE of an existing app? We can't port existing apps out to Android. And we can't switch them to html5 or cascades without mucking up the signing. They must be released as new apps if you use a different IDE - that's YOUR appworld framework. Did you guys even test these suggestions? Obviously not. Your own AppWorld interface will block us from ever doing this. And we have to charge users twice. Thanks for that short sighted suggestion - you actually have NO suggestions to go forward except abandonment of the apps as is. 

Apps you are killing from me with no reason provided:

Media Connect

Secure AntiVirus (major sales only competitor to scam app Max Secure)

Secure Browser

Night Ports (major user count)

HTML Edit (used by bloggers mostly)

Text Edit

Mr Nibbles

Dat's a Bingo (many dedicated players)

20 odd free teaching and learning apps

Drum Machine (used by small musicians for studio work)

Telnet (only ftp / ssh / bbs app working for many servers)

RPG Quest (addictive free RPG with large following)

Flying Toaster + Stanfield Screen saver 

+ many, many more (tired of listing them)

If I seem steamed - sorry but you just went out of your way to screw me for putting faith in you 

Contributor
My Device: 2
My Carrier: 1

say goodbye to blackberry.Smiley Sad

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I absolutely agree with KermEd.

You are not just condemning us, you are condemning all of the clients that have already paid for those apps.

My most successfull app is Playepub, the most popular ebook reader on BB10 and will be out on 10.3.1.

It's been out there since june/2011 on Playbook when AIR was THE ONLY way to develope apps for Playbook, please, read again.. THE ONLY ONE! Then I spent 9 months migrating it to BB10 and improving to get BfB.

Do you really think that 3 years of improvements can be completely moved to a new platform?  C'mon...

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords