Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Just received an email outling that support for AIR has been dropped from 10.3.1.

I guess the writing has been on the wall for some time.  I guess I should be happy that they have at least made a definitive decision concerning Adobe AIR support.

So sad.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Really did not see this coming. I knew that they had stopped work on AIR, but I really didn't think that they would break all existing apps...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telcel

I'm really surprised and as soon as I received this mail too. Literally, I was writing a post to my blog on 'why should your first game app should target blackberry'.

Dropping support from AIR just cuts out many potential games from deploying easily on Blackberry. Blackberry needs apps to succeed, and unless there is really an easy crossplatform solution (I think it's time to try haxe...) to use, I don't feel like rewriting my work to blackberry only.

Uigh...

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

So does this mean that current AIR apps will stop working? or just that they are not accepting new SKU's for apps running on AIR after 10.3.1?

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
My Device: Developer

Well I didn't see this coming at all. Guess it's time to go with the NDK but the learning curve is steep so depending on time, another approach may be better.  Is there a published timeline for  BB10.3.1 in existence? How much time to I have to port my app to a supported platform?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Telcel

According to the mail:

"Dear Adobe AIR Developer,

With the coming release of BlackBerry® 10 OS version 10.3.1, Adobe AIR will no longer be supported as a technology platform on BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Effectively, customers with Adobe AIR apps that upgrade their BlackBerry 10 smartphone software to version 10.3.1 will not be able to use those apps anymore."

So yus, we are forced to migrate every AIR app, or say goodbye to blackberry.

Developer
My Device: Developer

steve_web wrote:

So does this mean that current AIR apps will stop working? or just that they are not accepting new SKU's for apps running on AIR after 10.3.1?

It means your AIR app will cease to function. You need to port it to a supported platform.

Developer
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

This is incredible, they will be removing all AIR apps as most of us will not migrate them, it has no sense.

I have 4 BfB Air apps...one of them took me more than 6 months migrating from Playbook version... You are kidding if you think I am going to migrate. It's not only about work, revenues have fallen down during the last year, it has no sense to spend more time on BB10.

And the best part is for our existing clients, they have paid for something they will not be able to use anymore!

Incredible! All of our clients will get crazy.

Why removing it? Just leave it as is, at least existing apps will still work.

Of course I will not migrate any app, that is absolutely ridiculous. If most of us don't do it, they will have a lot of apps out, and not bad android apps, many of the best apps, many of them migrated from old Playbook versions.

My apps for Playbook: PlayEpub Book Reader with epub and FB2 support, Google Reader, ReaditLater - Net Files Share Explorer Get access to your network shared files- FFSync Sync your Firefox bookmarks and passwords
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 2.0
My Carrier: AT&T

The best part of the email is the closing line:

Happy Development,

BlackBerry World Team

First the 10K commitment failure, now this!

BlackBerry should pay all Air devs for porting the app! Do you guys agree?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Note that you can repackage your AIR application using the AIR Captive Runtime for Android, which will be supported on BlackBerry 10.3.1.  As long as you aren't using any BlackBerry specific AIR APIs, this shouldn't require any code change.

Quoted from the End of Support page.

Option 1: Build as an Android app and repackage for BlackBerry

The fastest and simplest way to continue supporting your Adobe AIR app is to build it as an .apk file that uses the Adobe AIR captive runtime for Android. You can then use the BlackBerry Tools for Android apps to repackage your .apk file into a BlackBerry app that can be made available in BlackBerry World. Provided that your app does not rely on AIR native extensions, most Adobe AIR apps for BlackBerry can be recompiled for Android using this technique with little or no code changes.  Get started with repackaging

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker