Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: Telekom

Re: It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Wow right now I feel so happy to not have integrated the Blackberry IAP Api and instead forward to my webpage for IAPS. Guess I am one of the few lucky ones who will able to port their games in no time. Gonna give it a shot at least.

Support for Google Play Payment API v3 would be nice for future development, but I guess this is not the time to ask for features ^^

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Three Mobile

Can't say I didn't see this coming, or that I am surprised. I am surprised, however, that one of the solutions is that we export our apps as Android applications.

Mark and other dev advisors - I have a few questions for you.

1. Is it actually even possible to port our applications to Android (or WebWorks for that matter) and keep the existing ratings / allow existing users to upgrade to the ported apps? i.e. will they be able to use the same application id's etc.? Or will they have to pay again?
  2. Will all apps built on AIR lose the Built for BlackBerry status?
  3. When is BB 10.3 being released? i.e. how long do we have?

Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

testworks wrote:

Can't say I didn't see this coming, or that I am surprised. I am surprised, however, that one of the solutions is that we export our apps as Android applications.

Mark and other dev advisors - I have a few questions for you.

1. Is it actually even possible to port our applications to Android (or WebWorks for that matter) and keep the existing ratings / allow existing users to upgrade to the ported apps? i.e. will they be able to use the same application id's etc.? Or will they have to pay again?
  2. Will all apps built on AIR lose the Built for BlackBerry status?
  3. When is BB 10.3 being released? i.e. how long do we have?

Asked several times but not answered. Mark, when you drop a bomshell like this, YOU NEED TO GIVE US AT LEAST AN INKLING OF A TIMELINE for 10.3.1!!!!!!

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

When I saw the news, I couldn't believe it. Is BlackBerry pulling off a "Steve Jobs No Flash on iOS"!? After all the investment many people made on the platform?! Is BlackBerry really that low in cash?! Just ... wow.
As a developer and a user of BB10, I feel really sorry for all the great apps that will be gone and for all the stress that the developers will face.
Cheers!
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

UberschallSamsara wrote:

If the Adobe licensing fee is the reason, then why can't BlackBerry continue to pay that fee for a longer but still finite period of time, say a year.  

That would give devs and users plenty of time to sort things out, vs. a surprise 2 month offramp.

There actually should be some time as this is a 10.3.1 change and not a 10.3.0 change. I personally don't think that we will see 10.3.1 until October so you should have at least half a year...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer

KermEd wrote:

That's a poor excuse Mark.

If we made BFB AIR apps - they can't be ported to Android without losing BFB status and requiring large rewrites. In fact, probably 95 percent of AIR apps can't be just built as APKS and ported over - no offense that's a stupid response.

Not to mention ... are you ignorant of the fact you can't change the IDE of an existing app? We can't port existing apps out to Android. And we can't switch them to html5 or cascades without mucking up the signing. They must be released as new apps if you use a different IDE - that's YOUR appworld framework. Did you guys even test these suggestions? Obviously not. Your own AppWorld interface will block us from ever doing this. And we have to charge users twice. Thanks for that short sighted suggestion - you actually have NO suggestions to go forward except abandonment of the apps as is. 

You can totally change the IDE of an existing app. I have personally done so with my Pixelated app (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/2048/) which was written in AIR for PlayBook and converted to Cascades for BB10. All you have to do is make sure that the id field is the same in both apps.

Developer

testworks wrote:

Ratings from the existing app will remain, and users will continue to have the abilty to download any apps that they have already purchased as this is all handled by BlackBerry World and not the apps themselves.

testworks wrote:
When is BB 10.3 being released? i.e. how long do we have?

I would love to see an official date on this, but I am assuming that the 10.3.1 release will be some time this fall...

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

For the question of changing IDEs/platforms and how signing affects upgrades, this is supported.  You can switch from one type of application (AIR) to another (Android) and have your users see the new release as an upgrade.  Details on how to do that are documented here:

Upgrading an Application Using Different Languages

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Wow, do you know how many **bleep** off users there will be from this?
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

They should at least for BB10 captive runtime (not via APK)