Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

Re: It's OFFICIAL. Adobe AIR support dropped from 10.3.1.

Thank you for the response, Tim.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

KermEd wrote:

For the final time, I will repeat myself once more. MARK said he answered all the questions on the forum and to bring any questions forward that he missed.

And I am sure Mark will keep his word, in my experience, he always has.

That still doesn't keep anyone else from responding as well...  unless you are actually asking for a closed conversation with Mark. I understand you're unhappy -- quite obviously you are. No need to beat up on others in this forum just because you don't like their response.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:
No need to beat up on others in this forum just because you don't like their response.

I will respond with my opinion the same as any other user - if I think a conversation is of no value to me (such as this one) then it is my opinion and I am free to say as such. And if I feel a question is not answered I am free to say so as well. It isn't up to you to decide what is of value to me. 

Developer

[ Edited ]

tneil wrote:

Hi KermEd,

We are definately not ignoring the questions.. I've been gathered around tables and calls with various people both yesterday and today to pull together the answers to the questions posted in this thread.  

I ask you to give us some time to pull together all the answers.  There were a lot of questions asked, some technical, and some philosophical that need the right people to provide the proper answers that you seek.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I appreciate the response. At this point my perspective on this situation is blackberry is very much making light of our situation and putting no value on all of our effort.   Although I appreciate someone at BlackBerry probably cared at some point... before being moved to the QNX department.

At this point it is a moot point for me I suppose. It's clear AIR will die. And I can't spend time rewriting 6 apps a week just to be where I am today. Considering you have said on the devblog that you have been debating this for over a year - I feel like this information should have been made available a whole lot sooner.

Posting the death of AIR will already impact my sales (who wants to buy apps that will stop working at some future date?).  This already has a financial impact on me short & long term - thanks for that.  Without an explanation I can digest I think it's clear BlackBerry expects developers like me are going to pack up and move on. 

Feeling passionate about this issue tells me that the relationship is fractured.  I think it is clear we both need to go our seperate ways (afterall, BlackBerry had to expect that outcome with developers like me).  I need to offload my bbm dev chats.  Offload mentoring developers.  Rework my blogs to push away from BlackBerry.  Focus + grow my 50 apps on iOS and Android.  Decide when to step down on CB.  Update my auto-response to direct users to developer relations. And add time-delayed pop-ups to all 239 apps warning users about the change made my BlackBerry.  And I am sure I am missing much more.

Questions kind of don't matter anymore outside of timelines.  Now is the time I have to plan my 5 month exit strategy, communication strategy and social media messaging for the 239 apps becoming intentionally unsupported by BB10 on BlackBerry.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

KermEd wrote:

JSanders wrote:

KermEd wrote:

For the final time, I will repeat myself once more. MARK said he answered all the questions on the forum and to bring any questions forward that he missed.

And I am sure Mark will keep his word, in my experience, he always has.

That still doesn't keep anyone else from responding as well...  unless you are actually asking for a closed conversation with Mark. I understand you're unhappy -- quite obviously you are. No need to beat up on others in this forum just because you don't like their response.

I will respond with my opinion the same as any other user - if I think a conversation is of no value to me (such as this one) then it is my opinion and om free to say as such. And if I feel a question is not answered I am free to say so as well. It isn't up to you to decide what is of value to me. 

Wow. No one (I haven't) said you are not free to say whatever you want. No one is taking your right to act like an eight year old. In this thread alone you have told several users not to respond as if only you hold the natural right to respond in this thread.

I said there "No need to beat up on others in this forum just because you don't like their response." That's common decency and politeness. But you really are enjoying pounding on other users here aren't you? AND YES, YOU ARE FREE TO DO THAT.  The moderators here can decide how far they will let you go with it.

NO ONE here likes the situation BlackBerry has announced on Air. I think it's stupid as well, and breaks the faith of developers who've put lots of hard work into their product.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:
In this thread alone you have told several users not to respond as if only you hold the natural right to respond in this thread.

I said there "No need to beat up on others in this forum just because you don't like their response." That's common decency and politeness.

I see two core (and valid) points. I havent demanded that anyone not respond - sorry if someone feels that way, but I agree there are two users I've responded to in a way that I consider "in disagreement" (outside of BlackBerry who I am mad at and owe me a pound of flesh).  That would be you (automatic because I have had negative experiences with you before).  And the user your defending as I interpreted him to have called 20 people stupid and seemed to be making light of their concerns... which may have been an over reaction on my part.

I agree with your second point - I could have been nicer about it.  But I wasn't.  It seems to me this particular sub-conversation has wandered well off topic from AIR and BBRY and no longer interests ... probably anyone for that matter.

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

jtegen wrote:
When I create an app to target Android, the app id gets prefixed with "air.". How will that get mapped back to the existing app id on BB so the user sees an update and not a new app?

Have you tried the following?  The seems to be a config setting for the environment on your computer.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac-4f1413de12cd45ccc23-8000.html

Developer

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:
When I create an app to target Android, the app id gets prefixed with "air.". How will that get mapped back to the existing app id on BB so the user sees an update and not a new app?

Thats a big part of the problem with AIR > APK > BAR unfortunately

It can be done, but you have to unpack the BAR.  Modifiy the XML's.  Which causes the Hash to be incorrect.  Recreate the hash using command line.  Repack the BAR.  Sign the bar.  Same as you would if you were to, say, disassemble one of the Browser Bars, change the underlaying javascript or add cool graphics and repack the browser,

The same cant be done for the APK - Android apps are very specific.  The folder structure and Package ID are related.  And the apps have encrypted package information unlike Bbry.

You have to repeat this for the Application ID AND Package ID.  It takes a while to get used to.  It is a painful process - but I'm hoping something like the above gives us an easier way.  If BlackBerry actually tested this they should be able to give us step by step instructions.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Let's talk about answers, not about who-answered-who, please.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

My last news for Speed Tester's Users:

Hello everyone, a few days ago we AIR developers we were informed that the Blackberry version 10.3 has decided not to implement most of the AIR runtime.
The thing I was quite surprised and even made me angry and not only to me but to all developers.
The consequences of this will be terrible , in fact you will not be able to use the current application it will automatically be removed from your phone and you can no longer find it on the market . In most have not yet given instructions on how to perform an import of these applications that will surely going to die. What can I tell gentlemen, I will be forced to enter the Android version definitely going to affect not only the beauty of the nativity but most likely also support for devices Q.
I'm really saddened by this news, already for a long time Blackberry had begun to do stupid things and this was the straw that broke the camel's back .
On top of that they could simply leave so as not to lose those few but good applications ...
However, I invite you to see all the news on the official Facebook page and while you can also News about the application.