Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Linking to a FaceBook page

I'm trying to place a link to a Facebook page into my app, but I can't figure out how to get it to open in the PlayBook Facebook app:

If I do something like this, the right page opens, but of course it opens in the Browser:

navigateToURL( new URLRequest( 'http://www.facebook.com/pages/MyPageName/1234567890' ) );

If I use facebook as the protocol, the Facebook app opens, but always to my own personal news feed, not the requested page. I tried a number of versions like this:

navigateToURL( new URLRequest( 'facebook://www.facebook.com/pages/MyPageName/1234567890' ) );

OR

navigateToURL( new URLRequest( 'facebook://pages/MyPageName/1234567890' ) );

OR

navigateToURL( new URLRequest( 'facebook://MyPageName/1234567890' ) );

OR

navigateToURL( new URLRequest( 'facebook://myCustomURL' ) );

Does anybody know how to make this work?

Thanks

Anna

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Linking to a FaceBook page

I just tried to scan through the facebook-actionscript-api docs, but couldn't see anything obvious in there. It's probably not the right place anyway - I don't want to write a Facebook app! All I want is a little link saying "Visit us on Facebook" and the appropriate page opening in the Facebook app rather than the Browser ... 

Surely somebody must have done this before?!  :-)

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Linking to a FaceBook page

Currently I am just launching the browser in my apps. But I agree that a direct link through the facebook app would be much nicer...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com