Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Live demo video with working portrait mode

JRab wrote:

i havent heard anything about it going to verizon. always a possibilty though.

I'm sure it's legit, but note from their FAQ page: "Verizon is working with RIM on overall support of the BlackBerry PlayBook, however Verizon has not made any public statements or announcements."

As with anything not officially announced by RIM, you can't count on it.

And many of these sorts of things are run through third-party marketing companies, to avoid tying up permanent staff with one-time efforts and to increase security (as but some of the benefits).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I see. That's interesting. I can definitely imagine Verizon getting it. We know Sprint is getting it with a 4G variant over summer. I've heard AT&T is testing. I just haven't heard anything about T-Mobile. So really, officially we only know of Sprints. Either way, WIFI version for me. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Here is a longer version of live portrait mode demo video --- which explains much more detail about why the apps looked wierd (i.e. the weather app didn't rotate).  Your app needs to be rotation sensitive in order for the portrait mode "live view" to display your app in portrait mode.

So crackberry.com reported it incorrectly that when they said that there was something wrong with the portrait mode demo.  It was displayed completely perfectly --- the selected app was displayed slightly larger and not as reported by crackberry.com that 2 horizontal apps stacked vertically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGF5Ympf-eU

Developer

Thank you. Explains everything. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Crackberry.com has reported a lot of things wrong. Last week on a podcast Kevin Michaluk (co-founder of crackberry.com) reported the playbook had a GPS module built in because it was using a TI OMAP4430 processor. The OMAP4430 doesn't have a built in GPS module. It has pre-integrated connectivity for a GPS module.

Does anybody know if the playbook will have GPS? I keep hearing conflicting reports.

Developer

Another more extensive video from the same source janetsa posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYv72lNrtVU&feature=player_embedded

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Until GPS is in the official spec of the PB, or "official" word from the PB product manager, vp or some other exec, it will continue to be unclear.  Of course, I hope it will because I have a full app developed around GPS.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

PBDev wrote:

The OMAP4430 doesn't have a built in GPS module. It has pre-integrated connectivity for a GPS module.

Does anybody know if the playbook will have GPS? I keep hearing conflicting reports.

To be more specific, the OMAP4430 supports an efficient interconnection to certain modules such as the WiLink 7.0 (WL1283), which TI describes as the "industry’s first true single-chip mobile WLAN, GPS, Bluetooth®Bluetooth low energy, ANT and FM transmit/receive solution."  Whether or not any or all of those features are actually integrated into the PlayBook remains to be seen.  It's not enough just to throw in a chip for it... such things require antennas and other circuitry, not just the logic, as shown by the WL1283 block diagram on that page.

In the WebWorks webcast (2 of 4) yesterday, the guys finally addressed the GPS puzzle fairly directly.  I think it was because they had like 300 people submitting questions about it.  Unfortunately, all they did is to clarify that (in my words) "there has been no announcement about GPS support so we can't say anything about that right now".  That's better than sort of saying it's there, maybe, but being vague about it and not directly saying why.  (They said as much in the written Q&A for the previous webcast.)

In short, although they've dropped hints (even saying in AIR SDK webcast 5 of 5 "there is a GPS", but leaving it open to question whether they really meant in the PlayBook or just in a tethered phone), they're not saying anything officially and, in effect, leaving open the possibility that the final device won't have it.

I think at this point (as I'm sure many others did already) that there must be full GPS support, and they surely have partners working with it (including Poynt, which I don't think would be much use without one), but they're keeping officially silent for now.  

It's probably all just part of "managing the buzz" to ensure adequate numbers of not-previously-announced features can be used to build hype closer to release, even if Xoom and iPad2 are out or making more announcements at the time.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook

The OMAP4430 can be interfaced with several different GPS chips. In the system diagram TI is showing a NaviLink. My point was just because the playbook is using an OMAP4430 doesn't mean it automatically has GPS built in like crackberry.com was reporting. Oh, btw that was my question they addressed at the webcast. I asked if the playbook has GPS at the start of the first WebWorks webcast but they didn't answer it. I think the only reason they addressed it this time was because I made it sound like a WebWorks question.

Yeah you're probably right. There must be full GPS support but it does seem odd that RIM is keeping quiet about it.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

There are 2 major features that haven't been demo'ed yet --- universal search and video conferencing.