Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Lost Original Signing Keys... Unable to Update?

Question to all - I lost my original signing keys due to some crazy glitch and had to get new ones. I'm attempting to update an existing app... but I get an error saying the APP ID doesnt match (which I double checked - and it does). I read somewhere that if the signing keys are different than the original signing keys, you wont be able to update the app.

Wondering if this is true  - and if there is a work around without creating an all new version of the application. It's an important update, so I definitely need to release it. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Lost Original Signing Keys... Unable to Update?

There is no work around. Developers are warned to backup the keys and even both IDEs have the ability to backup and restore the keys. Without the original files and/or generated keys, you can not update an existing app. Best to check to see if your files were backed up with your normal backup process. Hopefully, you saved it in the same project tree of source files that should/are backed up daily.

The only thing you can do now (assuming the worse) is to create a new app in the vendor portal and update your new version and blog to users what occurred. If it is a paid app, you will probably need to offer the "new" app for free for a period of time, so that current users can "upgrade".
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Lost Original Signing Keys... Unable to Update?

Actually I think there is a workaround, which was to contact RIM at some email address. I don't recall the specifics unfortunately, but the gist of it was that with a special request they would arrange for you to get your update past the new App World safeguards that are protecting people from themselves.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!