Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: ???
Accepted Solution

Making Background Transparent on Flash CS5 AIR Application for BlackBerry Tablet Simulator

Hi there,

I've been trying to figure out how to make the Background Transparent on Flash CS5 AIR Application for BlackBerry Tablet Simulator and I think it has to do with my *-app.xml file.  I've seen another forum mention adding the <transparent> tag and setting that to "true".  I placed this inside my <initialWindow> tags and my .bar file still wouldn't compile using the command line packaging.  As soon as I remove the <transparent> tag, I can compile the .bar file and view it in the Tablet Simulator.  Does anyone have any advice?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Making Background Transparent on Flash CS5 AIR Application for BlackBerry Tablet Simulator

You need to set the <transparent>true</transparent> in your blackberry-tablet.xml file, not your -app.xml file.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

Re: Making Background Transparent on Flash CS5 AIR Application for BlackBerry Tablet Simulator

Sorry, just saw it was your first post. Welcom to the forums! Here is the layout of your blackberry-tablet.xml file. It's documented, but not in the easiest of places to find:

<qnx>
  <initialWindow>
    <systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
    <transparent>true</transparent>
  </initialWindow>
  <publisher>Sample Inc.</publisher>
  <category>core.internet</category>
  <icon>
  	<image>your_image.png</image>
  </icon>
  <splaschreen>splashscreen.png</splashscreen>
</qnx>

Also, if you app uses anything that requires permissions (internet, sharedObject) you need to add

<permission>allow_internet</permission>

before you close the qnx tags.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: ???

Thanks for the reply guys...So my command line for packaging:

bin\blackberry-airpackager -package DailyHealthTip.bar -installApp -launchApp DailyHealthTip-app.xml DailyHealthTip.swf blackberry-tablet-icon.png -device 192.168.242.129 -password XXXXXXXX

Where would I specify the blackberry-tablet.xml in my command line?

Developer

after your swf and before your icon.

- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What does it mean for the background to be transparent?  The background of what?

Developer

Background of your app. You can set the alpha an have the background be "see through" to the home screen
- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks. Sorry for a basic question, but under what circumstances would you want to do this?  Would this be, for example, if the "area" on the screen that your app uses is smaller than 1024x600 but you nevertheless put a box of full screen size and then make it partially transparent?  

Thanks in advance for clarifying. Just trying to figure out a different look for my app and hence want to think through all the different options.

Developer

Well, you may haver certain areas in your app that don't do anything, or are placeholders until the user does something there. Adding a transparent background can give it a different look.
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Personally I'd stay away from transparent background's unless there's a good reason for it. Might fool the user into thinking that they can interact items underneath the app.