Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: MediaPlayer Error

Any idea how the YouTube app implements their video playback with the controller, infobar and adds all overlayed on the video?

I am guessing they built their own player from the ground up maybe?

I could not find the bug listed when I followed your link to tablet-232, is it still up there?
New Developer
My Carrier: none

Report Tablet 232 is still up, but nothing happenned in a month and half: it is still in triage.

I looked at the fate of other tasks/bug the person rmasroor was assigned to: most of them are inactive/unresolved (not good sign) after much much longer, when others have stuff done/resolved in no time!

So bad news, especially when seeing that 6 other bug reports are active and investigating but not this one.

We really need video overlay as stated in the api, it would open whole new possibilities for our development!

msohm , a little help, please? Thank you!

I don't know how the Youtube app implements the video playback with the controller, but it might use Flash's video player, not qnx's.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I honestly feel that the API is not fully developed and at this point you should choose to either use the QNX mediaplayer with no overlay, or use the inferior flash video player. I chose to go with the QNX mediaplayer because it was more stable, though I had to give up some features.

I had the benefit of speaking to someone from RIM who sent me some additional sample code to address some of my concerns such as the overlay issue and the ability to get proper metadata from the connection. Sadly, it was of no help. This is what has lead me to believe that it is not a bug, just not properly developed/ documented.

Dont beat your head over trying to duplicate the Youtube app. Youtube usually works with the manufaturers and as a result they have access that us developers do not get.

Using the basic code as shown in my previous posts, you can get video to play with audio. That is all I used for my app, the Blausen Human Atlas, which is mainly a video player.

If using the code as provided does not work for you, you might want to look at your video format making sure you have the right containers/ codecs for both the video and audio.

Good luck!

Contributor

I'm attempting to play an AVI file.  I've got the field displaying with no video.  But I know something is working because I can hear the audio fine, just no video.  I do get this error

[ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="MediaPlayer: Error during -(outputAttach)" errorID=7]

errorID I believe matches

MEDIA_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_OPERATION Constant.

Now I'm attempting to put the video mediaPlayer into a qnx container.  Could this casue that problem? The example has it attaching directly to a sprite.

Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

So, the final answer is we CANNOT have VideoDisplay working fine with overlay = true? And yet no solution for OS2.0?

Honestly, I do not accept the answer given:-

rmasroor added a comment - 24/Aug/11 11:27 AM
The issue is not a bug but a documentation error which will be revised with additional information on how to use the API. 
VideoDisplay.allowOverlay = false; // will resolve the issue. 

It is a bug that VideoDisplay CANNOT work with overlay = true.

I was wondering how moviesrtplayer do it? I appreciate if anyone know the tricks. Thanks!

New Contributor
My Carrier: Giffgaff

Hi, I'm late to this party but I'm having the same problem, I am getting error:

Error #2044: Unhandled error:. text=MediaPlayer: Error during -(play)

When I try to play video while I am testing on the simulator, I don't have my playbook with me today, does this mean that this error always occurs when using the simulator? If so I don't wnat to waste more time trying until I have my playbook wtih me,
Many thanks
Developer
My Device: 9500 series
My Carrier: Airtel

HI Softyboy,

set overlay to false ,in Media player constructor.

In Blackberry documents , Constructor is missing is to set false.

in url of mediaplayer object use "file://" , if you have your file in applicationstorage directory or in documents directory.

Tell me if it can resolve your issue.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9330
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for the help.

I ended going with Adobe air video player.

Developer
My Device: 9500 series
My Carrier: Airtel

It works Fine on my application ,

If you need i can share my code snippet.

Just have a try on it.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Giffgaff

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.  I tried that but am still getting the Error#2044, very strange.

I have my video object set up like this:

_myVD =new VideoDisplay(false);

and my file path set up like this:

var file:File = File.userDirectory.resolvePath(file://sample.mp4);

// Where "sample.mp4" file sits in my bin debug folder along side my main application swf

_myPlayer.url = file.nativePath;           

_myPlayer.videoDisplay = _myVD;

does this look ok to you?

Many thanks