Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

NDK Native Extensions

It appears that Flash Builder 4.6 is needed to build Native Extensions to NDK applications.  Is this true?  What are the plans to upgrade from 4.5.1 to 4.6 with QNX/BBX?

Ref: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/articles/developing-native-extensions-air.html

Any guidance and examples on this would be much appreciated.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: NDK Native Extensions

While it should be technically possible to use ANE's in a PlayBook project in FB 4.5.1 and package your app via the command-line, version 4.6 should make it a lot easier. However, there is no BlackBerry SDK for FB 4.6 yet. You can register for the FB 4.6 pre-release if you like.

To create your own ANE's you'll need the BlackBerry Native SDK (NDK). You can't do that in FlashBuilder, or not yet, as far as I know.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

BTW: there's a session at BB DevCon on thursday about ANE's. And congrats with your Jammy! Well deserved!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

Im not at DevCon, so if anyone hears anything of interest, please post it.
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Thanks for asking this question jtegen, I was just looking for the same information. 

-So is ANE possible using the current BB tablet OS SDK? 

-Can we get a feed or information about the presentation tomorrow?

-Is there an indication when we can expect a new SDK that support FB 4.6?

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer

4.6 has not been released yet so I hope it not a chicken and the egg issue. My guess is that we will have to wait until FB4.6 along with any suitable QNX SDK. Hoping a good tutorial is created for this.
Developer

Follow https://twitter.com/#!/juliandolce, he promised to post some samples next week from his DevCon session.

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Hey, you don't need to wait for FB4.6. Yes it does bring some new features for ANE development but at this time the following s/w are all you need: - FB 4.5.1 with Air 2.7 (this is optional, you can also use command line tools with FB) - BlackBerry Air SDK 1.1.1, this is the current released version - BlackBerry Native SDK 1.0, just released - Playbook and Simulator running 1.0.7.3312, recommenced using real Playbook since this is native code Julian's presentation on ANE development will sure clear things up. Watch what he uses to do the tutorial.
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I am trying this right now, but I ran into a little problem. When I try to package the ANE I don't know which platform to enter:

adt -package -target ane ~/Downloads/HelloWorld.ane ~/Documents/Blackberry\ Projects/HelloWorldExtension/Library/descriptor.xml -swc ~/Documents/Blackberry\ Projects/HelloWorldExtension/Library/com.Endare.HelloWorld.extension.swc -platform arm ~/Documents/bb-ndk/HelloWorldExtension/Device-Debug/libHelloWorldExtension.so 

I tried arm, arm-le, playbook, blackberry... None of them work. They all result in:

Unexpected implementation for platform: arm

Does anyone have a clue? Also I don't know which platform to enter in the extension descriptor xml as well.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer

It should be QNX-ARM (for deployment on the PlayBook) or QNX-x86 (for the simulator). Case sensitive. The same for extension.xml. You'll also need to add permission run_air_native to the blackberry-tablet.xml.