Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Re: Native SDK for Playbook

[ Edited ]

It looks like the NDK talk was given yesterday, anyone here attend? I can't find any coverage of the talk through google. There was some news a couple weeks ago that seemed to strongly imply that fully native apps would be allowed to be ported to the Playbook, but nothing explicit.

New Developer
My Device: 9700

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook

*cough* hehe, you really should check that out Smiley Happy

----------------------------
Let's turn things up...
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

NICE! I was poking at the binary code of a couple native apps like "need for speed" from the device backups, but thats even better than I expected. Interesting how it doesn't say anything about CODE-SIGNING either.. HMMM?

EDIT: Oh and I just LOVE how it's all come full-circle too. I got started developing for RIM on the RIM 950 and RIM 957 handhelds, which used a C++ SDK in Visual Studio.  After transitions to higer languages like java and air, here we are again back at C++.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
New Developer

Downloading now

Contributor

My question really boils down to whether we'll be able to access the Photon widget library or some such native toolkit from native code, rather than being forced to use java/AS for GUI like on Android. I just saw this video yesterday, where Chris Smith talks about porting fully native apps easily from Windows or other platforms to the Playbook, so I guess a fully native option might be in store. Smiley Happy At the very least, with full POSIX API access, you won't have to use Java for such basic APIs, like I think Android makes you do.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

One video I saw recently talked about porting QUAKE 3 to the PB. You can't do that if they are requiring some hybrid of C++ and Java.

It was mentioned at the same time that the NDK will support OpenGL, but I do think it will be pretty safe to assume that the Photon widget library (or something like it) will also be available.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

This is so freakin awesome I think I wet myself Smiley Happy

New Developer

Well, I was going to download the development environment when I read the original article and it had a link to the evaluation version of the QNX dev tools.  I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to get everything set up and play with it only to have the evaluation license time out.  I think I'll just wait for the actual NDK and hope I don't have to grab my ankles to buy it.

Contributor

Finally got a chance to listen to the archived webcast.  Interesting how RIM is going to let people build and run whatever native code they want, from python to Qt, although they won't support those libraries themselves.  That freedom is certainly better than most of the other tablet NDKs out there.  However, the Tablet OS NDK is still very much a gaming-oriented solution as they said near the end that there will be no native UI toolkit, so you're stuck with low-level OpenGL APIs to build your own widgets.  One other interesting tidbit is that they're not using Photon as the underlying GUI backend for the other SDKs, apparently they have some newer toolkit that they're using instead.