Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: VM Tablet only at this time :)

Need Help Getting Started!

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

Just getting started with mobile development. Here's my situation:

- I'm using "FlashDevelop" (not FlashBuilder/Eclipse/etc.) as my IDE

- I'm fine with developing purely in Notepad and editing BAT files, if that helps you picture my situation Smiley Wink

- I have a running and working .SWF compiled against Flex 4.5 as an AIR app/.SWF

- My BlackBerry-Packager.bat is generating a .BAR file that appears to be the correct size

- The application installs onto my VM Tablet

- The application appears as a "white box" (the applicaiton selection bar seems to cover it up) - doesn't seem like hanging behaviour; I can click on the app again and it'll briefly show a BB loading screen and repeat the cycle.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I have an "application.xml" that was generated for the project by Flash Develop that seems to have most of the relevant info. I've manually created a "blackberry-tablet.xml" as I've seen mentioned around the forums but I don't believe it's loading (icon files don't show up, as an example). Any help there?

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Need Help Getting Started!

hey,

welcome to the forums! sometimes that kind of an issue has to do with the transparent tags in the blackberry-tablet.xml file. look for <transparent> tags and set the value to false:

<transparent>false</transparent>

hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer

Yeah, I have 3 XML files:

1. application.xml: used by Adobe AIR if I want to compile an AIR app. Works great, but uses "version" instead of "versionNumber", so won't work for BAR generation

2. blackberry.xml: same as above but I manually changed "version" to "versionNumber"

3. blackberry-tablet.xml: uses the <qnx> structure found here on the forum. Doesn't seem to ever get noticed in the BAR generation process; no idea how to tell it to include via command line. 

All three of these files have <transparent>false</transparent> in them Smiley Sad

Developer

hmm. the blackberry-tablet.xml is one of the items that you are to include in your command line when you use the blackberry-airpackager command.

here is a sample of how it is supposed to look:

"/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder Burrito/sdks/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.3/bin/"blackberry-airpackager -package MyApp.bar MyApp-app.xml MyApp.swf blackberry-tablet.xml my_icon.png

also what is the blackberry.xml you are referring to? should only be two xml files i beleive

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

New Developer

[ Edited ]

My blackberry-tablet.xml was cut-n-pasted from a few references kicking around here:

<qnx>
        <initialWindow>
			<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
        </initialWindow>
        <icon><image>icon.png</image></icon>
        <publisher>Radial Games Corp</publisher>
        <category>core.games</category>
        <splashscreen>splash.png</splashscreen>
</qnx>

If I reference that XML file in the bar-builder it fails to execute.

I have my own, hand-made XML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.5">
        <id>SteamBirdsBlackBerryAIR</id>
        <filename>SteamBirdsBlackBerryAIR</filename>
        <name>SteamBirds BlackBerry AIR</name>
        <versionNumber>0.0.1</versionNumber>
        <copyright>Radial Games Corp</copyright>
        <initialWindow>
                <content>SteamBirdsBlackBerryAIR.swf</content>
				<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>
				<aspectRatio>landscape</aspectRatio>
				<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
        </initialWindow>
</application>

that seems to run fine with the blackberry-bar generator, but will not accept tags such as <splashscreen>:

Error: Unexpected node "splashscreen"

My command-line is:

blackberry-airpackager -package Game.bar -installApp -launchApp blackberry.xml bin/Game.swf -device 192.168.64.128 -password xxxx

Developer

yeah the splash screen should only go into the blackberry-tablet.xml file. you said you had 3 xml files, but only described two? not sure if i missed something.

also, what version of the SDK and simulator are you using?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

New Developer

[ Edited ]

The other XML file I have is identical to the longer one posted above, but has the node "versionNumber" renamed as "version" and thus fails to work. Pretend it doesn't exist Smiley Happy

Tablet SDK 0.9.3

PlayBook Sim 0.9.3

Flex 4.5 (build 17689)

AIR 2.5 SDK

VMWare 3.1.3