Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OT: Playbook production in swing, shipments possible late February reported

OT/OT/OT: @jrab:  Thanks.  I now have a new avatar.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

OT/OT: quote: rJab: you can use custom avatars. i think if you are of a Super Contributor or Developer Level 1 status, you have access to do so. go to My Settings > Avatars and then you can choose to upload from the web or your computer. i've grown too attached to mine to change it

Really?! //goes to settings to change avatar
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

[ Edited ]

zezke wrote:

Interesting article indeed.

I have to admit though, I first thought this was another AppstoreLover thread.

LULZ Man Very Happy

Great news indeed!

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

@appstorelover: that's good sportsmenship Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

> "From what we are hearing about the feature set of PlayBook, it is unlikely to have a major impact in 2011."

Well, compare it to iPad; I heard that the new iOS will have new gesture for future iPad/iPhone to possible remove the "Home" button.  ( Steve is really hate "button"; their lift is without any button at all )

Hey, man, take a look about PlayBook, it seems that there is no any button at all on its (front) face.

With those swipe gestures, it seems to me that it is ahead iPad on the "user-frindly" and it is "clean" too.

Developer

RIM should patent it before apple does Smiley Very Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I actually like buttons, there are times when they are lifesavers. Imagine a Windows PC without any buttons, you could never escape a crashing program using ctrl-alt-del. Apple needs the reset buttons as much as any pc and I guess there will be occassions that the PlayBook will need a reset. Let's just hope they will be rare.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@zezke, I'd thought this over myself a while back, and concluded that the PlayBook does not need a home or "reset" button like that.  It's running QNX, and as long as a few key parts of the OS itself do not fail, it will always be able to intercept the bottom-swipe and let you terminate your app.  It's not the app itself that detects the bottom swipe, and an app failure should not be able to block it.

Count this as one more subtle feature that could add to the general feeling of the PlayBook being more robust and responsive than anything built on Android or iOS can ever be. 

And QNX provides protection against copy-cats, since any other product which attempts to duplicate the button-less design of the PlayBook will likely lead to annoyed users when it freezes and they have no way out except maybe to pull the battery.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

peter9477 wrote:
"...have no way out except maybe to pull the battery."

even thats becoming obsolete haha. the playbook does have a power button though, maybe it'll serve as a hard reset too in the (hopefully rare) event the device locks up.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I was at the hands on session in London yesterday, and while using the playbook, the system froze, and the Blackberry rep pressed the reset button. A quick touch puts it in a hibernate state, whilst a 5 - 10 sec depression reboots the playbook.