Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

OT - The Flash Paradox

With only days left (hopefully) until I have my Playbook with full Flash 10.1 capabilities, my Windows 7 64-bit laptop can no longer play Youtube videos.  It tells me that I need to instlall Flash 10.1.  When I go to the site, I'm told that it's not supportedd for Win 7-64.  There is a beta version called Flash Square.  They also suggest using a 32-bit browser (and I don't want to install 2 versions of IE to accommodate Flash).

Does anyone have any workarounds, tweaks, etc that they've found?  Is anyone using Flash Square and have any feedback (positive or negative)?  Will it impact desktop simulation in Flash Builder 4.1?  Any info is appreciated.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

Re: OT - The Flash Paradox

[ Edited ]

PlayBook now runs Flash 10.2 out of the box or with an over the air update. It should be super robust on a mobile platform like the Playbook.

Developer

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know the playbook will be awesome. My question is about Flash/Win 7-64 - thus the 'OT' in the subject
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

To answer your question, Windows 7 should come with both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer. I use the 32-bit version all the time. There isn't much you can do in a web browser that needs 64-bit processing.

In any case, I would recommend you check out Firefox 4, Crome, Opera, pretty much anything that isn't IE =)

----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer

I also have FF, Chrome, and Safari installed for testing purposes but all are 64-bit.  I'll reset my IE default shortcut to point to 32-bit then.  Thanks.

Contributor
My Device: playbook

I Installed it a while ago on Win7:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_square.html

Works well for me. I forget I'm using it most of the time. I develop for flash, and use flash player in different browsers all the time. I recently developed a custom video player trying to note differences between the 64 and 32 bit versions... nothing I could see. 

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

@AppStoreLover

Are you sure about 10.2?

The Playbook build I used had 10.1. Unless the software update to the device at startup includes 10.2 I'd have thought 10.1 was shipped. But if you know for a fact 10.2 is available thats good news.

My understanding is that upgrades to Flash require an OS update.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Initial PB has 10.1.  10.2 will come out later with an OS upgrade.

Please don't ask when "later" is.  In any regards, there were not a lot of items in 10.2 that would significantly alter the user experience from that of 10.1.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

br14,

Jtegen is correct, all indication is that the playbook will ship with 10.1.

You are correct that a 10.2 update would be pushed out as an OTA upgrade. If this OTA upgrade system is well-executed it could be really slick.
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

I run 64 bit Linux and Flash 10.2 was released for it this past week.  Installed and have been enjoying Flash for the first time on it.  In fact, I am typing this on my Win 7 machine and just went through the Flash 10.2 install.  So... Your woes should be over.

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2011/02/flash-player-10-2-launch.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.