Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Packaging for Playbook no longer working with Flash Builder 4.6

When trying to run an application in debug mode on the Blackberry Playbook I receive following packaging related error message:

Error occurred while packaging the application:

Packaging failed:1
The command line is too long.

Any idea what is causing this?

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Re: Packaging for Playbook no longer working with Flash Builder 4.6

[ Edited ]

yes. the command line is too long.

It may sound stupid, but all what FB does (even in the versions before, haoppened to me before as well) is calling the command line tool blackberry-airpackager, which only allows only like 500 chars.

If you aren't cautious, you're using

1) a lot of resdource files

2) long resource file names

3) long paths (!) to those files, like C:\Users\YourName\Programs\Flash Builder 4.x\workspace\YourProjectNameWithSuperLongName

Try to shorten, if not all, of those

If changing all of this still does not help, you need to use the command line tool directly. Thererfore put all your src files/swf file etc into a new folder lilke C:\tmp  and try to package it from there. There was also a handy trick to pack resources additionall (like putting them into a subfolder of that folder and adding the folder name to the command line call) but I don't remember it exactly anymore. Elsewise, you could try to use the search Smiley Tongue

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I came to the same conclusion, however, after moving all SDKS (Flex and BB Playbook ) into C:\SDKS, there is no difference. I still get the error.

My projects all under D:\Flash Builder 4.5.1.

This is of course despite the fact that with FB 4.5.1 it was all working fine.

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

another idea.

restructure your project to have all additional files like images/levels/etc in subfolders

put everything of your source files into C:/Temp. (the swf, the subfolders, the app.xml, the blackberry-tablet.xml)

add your sdk/bin folders to your PATH variable if you haven't already

then call from your console the airpackager directly like this

blackberry-airpackager -package YOURAPPNAME.bar YOURAPPNAME-app.xml blackberry-tablet.xml YOURAPPNAME.swf -C /Temp /Temp/SUBFOLDERNAME1 /Temp/SUBFOLDERNAME2

elsewise i'm running out of ideas

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Regular Contributor

Your effort in helping is very much appreciated. But I really don't want to go there. I have been there already in the first days of the Playbook and it was just a nightmare.

I wait for Adobe support to get back to me and if there is no simpler solution, I downgrade.

Regular Contributor

OK, I'm back to 4.5.1 and all works fine again.

I will simply create a FB SDK 4.5.1 / AIR 3.1 overlay. This worked with AIR 2.7 and 3.0.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

Error could be caused by the fact that old bb sdk is used. You need to use sdk 1.1.1 or 2.0 with FB 4.6. These tools have another way of passing arguments and FB plugin would use that way instead, however if you use old sdk it would default to passing all files in command line which will cause this problem
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm using the Playbook SDK 1.1.1, hence that can't be the reason. Unless of course the installation of the Playbook SDK 1.1.1 is changing something in the installation directory of FB 4.6. I had the SDK 1.1.1 already installed with FB 4.5.1 and did not re-install it after upgrading to FB 4.6.

Well, right now I'm fine. I might try it again - installing the Playbook SDK 2.0 over the FB 4.6 installation - once the SDK 2.0 and OS 2.0 go Gold. Using the 2.0 Beta version is not an option right now.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

1.1.1 should work to, something is wrong with your configuration of sdk if it does not work.

You can use air sdk 2.0 beta with 1.0.8 release. It just needs air 3.1 which is in 1.0.8