Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

PaymentSystem API

Has anyone played around with the PaymentSystem API yet?  If so, any words of wisdom before I start diving into it?

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: PaymentSystem API

hey John,

i havent yet tried to work with it yet, but i saw a post a while back by renaun that might help you out a little:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Using-BlackBerry-PaymentService-w...

I think it also links to his blog that shows step by step testing. keep me posted on how it works out for you. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Currently, to use the Payment Service APIs you must be a registered vendor with the BlackBerry App World™ storefront and your application containing digital goods must be distributed exclusively through BlackBerry App World.

Just curious if anyone else finds this a little extreme?

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

that is actually the "same" clause in the Apple App Store. I think the sony ebook app got the boot a few days ago because they didnt stick to it. amazon's kindle reader has a work around that uses safari to purchase books or something. im not surprised that RIM uses the same approach.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jffurlan wrote:

Just curious if anyone else finds this a little extreme?

I don't find it extreme, yet.  I figured it was probably sensible given how new all this stuff is, and the risks that may be involved.  It seemed to me like RIM was "erring on the side of caution" by ensuring they get a chance to review both the app and the digital goods before they get sold.  Maybe after they and we have enough experience with it all, they'll open it up a little.

As usual, though, it would be nice to have a little more openness in terms of the whole system, rationale, etc, just so we can understand better.  Maybe that will come some day too.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Ahh, perhaps I read it wrong. I interpreted it as your app could only be sold in our store, and on no other platform. I didn't see it as everything must go through us (which I don't find extreme at all as it streamlines the experience for the user).
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: telus

Hi,

Just wondering whether this is only happens to me. Tried to use the Payment API, but once I called the constructor of PaymentSystem(net.rim.blackberry.payment.PaymentSystem), just got error: Class qnx.pps:Smiley TonguePSChannel could not be found.

Tried the walkaround kindly shared by renaun in  http://renaun.com/blog/2011/02/workaround-for-ppschannel-error-when-running-qnx-playbook-specific-ap... but maybe because of the Playbook SDK 0.9.4 I have right now, still get the same error.

Does any one come across the same issue?

Thanks a ton!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

The Payment API will only work in the simulator.  It is trying to show a dialog window and eventhough the work around in AIR will avoid the initial error, the application does not have access to the dialog service.

Contributor
My Carrier: telus

Thank you so much, John.

You are right, I saw the test payment page when I ran it on the simulator. But the layout was a mass. Should developer configure the layout? Or Playbook SDK will handle that? Maybe it is too early to do payment integration on Playbook?

Developer
My Carrier: n/a

jffurlan wrote:
Ahh, perhaps I read it wrong. I interpreted it as your app could only be sold in our store, and on no other platform. I didn't see it as everything must go through us (which I don't find extreme at all as it streamlines the experience for the user).

I read this the same way that your app has to be exclusive to AppWorld. Which to me is extreamly...well....extreame. Smiley Happy

Maybe they don't mean that but I don't really see how that could be interpreted a different way as written.