Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: PlayBook GPS

Yah but i could be pulling the gps info off of the phone's gps chip. I know the wifi ipad does this when using the iphone's mobile hotspot feature.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Hmmmm....

Could be some form of assisted gps that's not quite configured right. The folloling quote is from a wikipedia article article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

"Many mobile phones combine A-GPS and other location services including Wi-Fi Positioning System and cell-site triangulation and sometimes a hybrid positioning system"

I hope we'll be getting some information from RIM soon.

Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

@jffurlan I agree it could be but it works when tethered to that phone even if it doesnt have a gps lock, so I was a little skeptical it was using the actual phone gps chip
Like all of my posts
Contributor
My Device: Torch

I'm gonna just bite my lip and wait for the 4g version. Hopefully by then we'll have a fully functioning Playbook!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

As I just posted in the PlayBook forum thread on GPS, there are people in a crackberry thread on this reporting numerous problems with it.  Though it's quite obvious there really is a GPS in the unit, the software just isn't ready.

You can wait for the 4G, but it's not likely the 4G itself will help so much as whatever software improvements they make by that time.  I'm fairly sure we'll see those improvements long before the 4G comes out.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Well at this point I am going to assume that there is no GPS functionality unless someone posts a video on youtube showing it work. I'd think someone from RIM would have showed off the capability in any of their videos. The fact that none of RIMs videos have ...that just goes to say that either its not fully cooked(surprise me RIM!!!!) or the wifi version just doesn't have it...it might have a GPS chip.. God knows if that chip is even hooked up right to make use of the GPS functionality ;-)     It could just be that an RF chip is needed to do the triangulation on cell towers and make the readings more accurate.

It would be nice if MSohm or someone from RIM gave an official statement regarding GPS, gyroscope and other sensors on the device. 

Developer
My Device: Developer

tags07 wrote:

It would be nice if MSohm or someone from RIM gave an official statement regarding GPS, gyroscope and other sensors on the device. 

I'll second that request. I'm not going to abandon the device but this information would help me plan my next steps.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Tags, it has a GPS and it works (at least intermitenly).  My application (PilotView3D) relies upon the GPS and as I was testing it here tonight on the PlayBook, the satellite view showed me sitting right here in my living room moving at my usual racy speed of 0.0 knots at an altitude of 719' above sea level (which is just about bang on).   Not long after that, I got an event saying that the lat/long was zero.zero so that threw me into a bit of a tither but there is no doubt it has GPS functionality.  It also has accelerometer although my app doesn't (yet) use it.  You can tell because you move the playbook for need for speed! :-)

I've also seen RIM documents saying it has a built in compass although I notice the compass app on AppWorld doesn't seem to work off of it but looks like it uses the GPS.

Net is, I suspect that the GPS code is a bit shaky but its just SW and I'm sure they'll get there.  

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

tags07 wrote:

...it might have a GPS chip.. God knows if that chip is even hooked up right to make use of the GPS functionality ;-)     It could just be that an RF chip is needed to do the triangulation on cell towers and make the readings more accurate.

It does not have "a GPS chip", it has a chip which includes many wireless things including GPS.  Since the same chip does the WiFi, Bluetooth, and other things, it would be very hard for them not to "hook it up right".  They'd have had to leave out the GPS antenna, which I'm quite confident they did not.

As for the "triangulation" idea, I don't believe that's something these sorts of devices do, at least not using the relative strength of RF signals or anything like that.  Assisted-GPS apparently receives from a cell station ephemeris data to jump-start the GPS calculations more quickly.  It also gets the cell tower's own location, and using the two it can get a head start on a more accurate GPS reading, and can also provide some crude GPS positioning info even inside a build where a standalone GPS unit will not work at all.  (That's according to articles from Wikipedia and elsewhere...)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Torch

I read that there is a 4 in 1 chip in the Playbook that includes wifi, bluetooth, fm, and GPS. Question for you though do you need an antenna to enable the GPS function?? Maybe RIM didn't put an antenna inside because they were going to put one in with the 4g model to receive cellular reception. No point in putting one in only for GPS then 4g afterwards...