Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: PlayBook GPS

You do have a point in a certain way...

When you are trying out something and it does not work, it is very possible that there were a thousand others that had the same experience, and the manufacture would be aware of it.  Then there is the other aspect, there could be some kind of combination of events that took place that you cannot account for because you don't have the means to do an in depth comparison.

Burried in the help system the Playbook has a log generator. You can call support and report the problem. Then you ask for a fault number. You can then generate the log next time you have the problem. You can then send the log using the email address the support tech gave to you along with your fault number. From this their engineers may be able to determine the events that lead up to the fault that you had. You would have to speak with them to know exactly the procedure they would want you to do.

Over the last number of weeks that I have had the Playbook, I have been very satisfied with it. I bought it for remotely managing my work jobs, and business while I am out of the office. It does what I require and expected from it. A big plus is it fits in to my jacket pocket and it is consealed until I need it. It is light and easier to use than a big laptop for the same type of use. I did have a few issues to get it going with the Torch. The RIM support people were excellent and got me up and running with it.  I am very impressed with their products and support.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I am planning to send a bug report when I have the chance. I have an incident number for this. They want me to do a re-set, try the GPS, and then have it generate the report. Re-starting forces it to generate a new clean log. I have to do this with both WiFi and tethering. The GPS is working if I give it a location within a few miles from my location. It will find me within about 50 feet. Then it loses the tracking at times. I have a program that gives the Long and Lat. I compared it to my hand held GPS. When it works the numbers are extremely close.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Listen, I'm very impressed with the PlayBook so far and while it isn't perfect, it is remarkably stable for being released only a few weeks ago.  The GPS issues are important to me because my (free) application relys upon them AND I want to be able to use this feature in the device.  It is a complex feature to enable but certainly no more so than any other.  I've written my own fair share of real-time device drivers, telephony software and process control software over the years (almost 20 years ago now) so am very familiar with the requirements.  I'm not sure yet if this is an AIR problem or an underlying QNX issue (suspect the later) and I'm just trying to let people know that there are problems with the underlying software and not to panic that there is something wrong with their device and that it will get fix and all of our GPS apps will work - hopefully in the not too distant future.  

Appreciate your help in trying to narrow down the cause for RIM.

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I took Magellan Compass for a ride last night for about an hour in my car. There were times that it just sat there and then there were times that it tracked very well. I had it tethered to my phone so map updates occurred very quickly. There are some things in our app that we have to fix in regards to the GPS due to throttle updates to preserve battery life (too conservative right now). GPS is not perfect, but it is a lot better. It is probably best to inform the user what is going on so they dont think it is the app's fault. I was impressed with how well tethering to a cell phone worked in remote areas.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: VIettel

It's working now, I mean the GPS, after around 12 hours stop working from yesterday. It's working both inside or outside my house. Don't know when it will stop working again. Hope it's got fixed already.
---
More applications/games here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/14299/
louis.keeper@gmail.com
haitt@viethop.net
http://blackberryvietnam.net
http://viethop.com
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I took some time yesterday to look into why my GPS util was failing the AIR checks... Turns out I goofed...

I didn't enable the <action> permission in the blackberry-tablet.xml!!! THAT'LL DO IT!

I also updated my utility, if anyone was interested, to implement a TTY. If the TTY expires, the utility will dispatch Event.CLOSING and stop sniffing for updates.

http://forrst.com/posts/Flash_AS3_GeolocationUtil-RsU

Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks killer. I have a couple of observations:

I have found that the first few events tend to return wildly inaccurate results. You might also add a variable to ensure that the horizontal accuracy is within an acceptable range before "cancelling' the acquisition process.

I have also found that the geolocater stops dead when the lock is lost after a number of events have been sent. There is no automatic restart mechanism so this situation makes tracking difficult. Therefore you might want to add another timer to check for a pause in the event stream and trigger a restart whenever necessary.. 

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

@MauriceRice, I leave that up to the implementation...

private function _onUpdateGPS(event:GeolocationEvent):void
{
    if (event.horizontalAccuracy >= MIN_ACCURACY && event.verticalAccuracey >= MIN_ACCURACY) {
        this._geo.removeEventListener(......);
    }
}

as for the GPS giving up after the lock is lost... that is interesting.. I'll have to play with that some. Good idea.