Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

PlayBook Home screen "Launcher" Feedback

[ Edited ]

I have a few suggestions about the PlayBook's home screen:

1) Why not just display app icons directly over the wallpaper?

I personally think the transclucent black overlay looks bad..

2) I think the "time and notification bar"  is bit too big & overbearing.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: PlayBook Launcher Feedback: Why the Black Overlay under the apps screen?

hey,

i personally love the look. i hate it when the wallpaper is right under the icon. it makes the icons hard to make out and just makes everything look so much like clutter. i prefer the black transparent back ground because it gives the icons a better focus. just the overall placement is great. to each his own i spose Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: PlayBook Home screen "Launcher" Feedback

AppStoreLover wrote:

I have a few suggestions about the PlayBook's home screen:

1) Why not just display app icons directly over the wallpaper?

I personally think the transclucent black overlay looks bad..

2) I think the "time and notification bar"  is bit too big & overbearing.

I don't have an opinion yet about the general layout/wallpaper, etc, mainly because I think they probably are still designing it and it will be different by release, if not in the next SDK.

About the status bar, I think given that those things are all active elements that will be tappable, you wouldn't want it to be any smaller or it would be too hard to hit the right icons with fat fingers.

In any case, as the Navigator is in many ways just another AIR app (though one granted special powers at startup by QNX) it can easily be changed by RIM, and there might even be a way of getting alternate launchers out to people, so maybe you can roll your own at some point with tiny icons and no black overlay. Smiley Happy

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: PlayBook Home screen "Launcher" Feedback

[ Edited ]

It's also important to remember that everything is smaller on the device. On my desktop monitor which has a fairly average DPI, the screen appears to be about 9.5". I made a properly sized cardboard cutout of the PB so I could get a better feel for how big I should make my buttons (they're custom skinned), useful for imagining the size of the top bar too.

--------
Taylor Byrnes