Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: PlayBook Tablets are now shipping to developers!

Making allowances for the 140 character limit in tweets, and the fact it's sent by Mike Kirkup, I'm going to say I think he means that Touchstone has been given the go-ahead to start shipping immediately.

Since some people haven't received notice of approval yet, it also seems likely me that there will be a second batch go out shortly after, once the final approvals are sorted out.

Pure speculation.... and I haven't been very accurate in that area lately.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Awesome! Even if they aren't literally shipping now, it does really seem like it should be happening really soon.

Unfortunately, this means that I won't be doing any programming tonight since I'll be busy grasping for more PlayBook news/previews, pics and videos.

---
My Apps:
KeepUp (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/26514?lang=en)
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

AppStoreLover wrote:

AppStoreLover
The message implies they are in the process of shipping it right now.

Touchstone (tmgideas.com) is shipping the free BlackBerry #PlayBook tablets (now).

Well, if you add "now" to the end then of course it does. But the initial statement did not imply anything. If it did, then me saying

BlackBerry (RIM) is creating the 1.0.0 SDK for developers to use.

obviously must imply it is coming tomorrow, right?

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Not cool for those of us that are still waiting for approval. =/

Developer
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: vzw

If they are shipping them to us now I hope they will let us activate them.  I would hate to be like the guys in the crackberry thread.  Have a PlayBook and not be able to do anything with it. I think that would be almost worse than waiting till lauch lol

Developer
My Device: Free Playbook!
My Carrier: n/a

[ Edited ]

That tweet *is* a little hazy, but then again, we've come to expect these kinds of half-meanings from RIM announcements, right? At least they mean well, and that goes a long way with me.

By the way, this forum has been such a lovely community that I'm anxiously awaiting a shipping confirmation mostly so that I can inform people about it here, and spread the good news. In this state of heightened anticipation, getting the Playbook itself has almost become a secondary concern.

mark-lacroix.com | Operators: the game with two sides
Please give me Kudos if I've earned it!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE
My Carrier: UfonePK

witmen wrote:

If they are shipping them to us now I hope they will let us activate them.  I would hate to be like the guys in the crackberry thread.  Have a PlayBook and not be able to do anything with it. I think that would be almost worse than waiting till lauch lol

I hope they aren't locked like that. We are developers, we need unlocked devices so we could just test our apps asap Smiley Happy

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post Smiley Happy
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
New Developer

[ Edited ]

Sounds promising. Of course, it could mean they are, or they are now (don't you just love English?)

Either way,  we're getting close to when I would expect shipments.. just waiting on that email Smiley Wink

New Developer

I think....(and hoping) the we will hear something tomorrow.  There is a Blackberry kickoff event in NY tomorrow evening. (invite only).

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-launch-event-thursday-april-14th-new-york-city

So, I would bet that tomorrow we will get some answers... (Much for fulfilling then the LOST finale). lol

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

Everything seems consistent.  The original statement was that developers would receive their Playbooks on or around the launch date.  The tweet says who is shipping and that ours would ship soon.  The tweet was from today.  Tomorrow is the launch party.  April 19th is the date it's expected to be available in retail channels.  If tomorrow is considered the launch which preceeds the retail availability (as is usually the case with carriers 'launching' a new phone which isn't available in stores until a few days later), then I'd expect:

a) Our Playbooks ship 4/14

b) RIM will be giving away promo Playbooks at the launch event which will activate.

c) Alee from the Crackberry thread will be able to activate his Playbook on 4/14.

d) We're going to start to see some more aggressive marketing from RIM any day now.

If memory serves me correctly, RIM advertised pretty heavily during the baseball playoffs last fall.  The ads were mostly on TBS/TNT which carries the baseball playoffs prior to the World Series.  TBS/TNT also, coincidently, carries most of the pre-finals NBA playoffs as well... which start this weekend.

OK.  Enough of this and back to watching Youtube videos to try to determine what battery life is like by figuring the percent battery use at the beginning of the video and at the end and then extrapolating the percent delta to 100 percent battery life.  Or not...