Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Orange CH

PlayBook development on InteliJ IDEA - Linux/Mac/Windows

[ Edited ]

If you are looking for a good IDE for developing ActionScript, take a look at Intellij IDEA

It's a great IDE with support for many languages, framworks and tools. It works on all major plattforms, since it is completely written in Java. If you are used to Eclipse or Flash Builder(which is actually based on Eclipse) you can even set the keymap to Eclipse to have an easier transition. It's only 250$ and there is a 30 day  trial. It is especially interesting for those working with linux or those developing for multiple mobile plattforms(there is also support for android).

I made a little how-to for setting up a PlayBook Project on IDEA.

If you have any questions or remarks post them here or as a comment on my tumblr.

Let me know what you think about it and if my tutorial was useful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/6777
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: PlayBook development on InteliJ IDEA - Linux/Mac/Windows

This sounds a little bit (read alot bit) like a ad. There is nothing wrong with eclipse or flash builder or intelli-J but this reads like an ad.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that it might look a little like and ad but believe me i have nothing to do with jetbrains(the company behind intellij), i am just convinced by this product and wanted to share my experience.

Yu are right, there is nothing wrong with eclipse or Flash Builder i'm using for several years now and i really like it. I just didn't want to spend 250$ for Flash Builder because i only develop ActionScript apps for the PlayBook and when the Java SDK is available i will probably switch to Java. I was using Intellij anyway for developing with Java. And Intellij is available for Linux, Flash Builder is not.

Don't get me wrong with this post, i just wanted to show that there was another good IDE for ActionScript.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

In any case that looks like a well-written tutorial with lots of screenshots to follow. I use flash builder personally, but I'm sure anyone looking to use IDEA will find it handy. One suggestion I would make is to add a 'common errors' section with some errors and solutions people might run into.

For those who like flash builder but can't purchase it, Adobe does provide free keys for students, faculty, and unemployed developers. So, if you're one of the above check out their page:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/flex/free/
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Well if you only want to develop ActionScript appswhy don't you give Flash Develop a try ? It's free IDE for developing AS2 & AS3 content, but only works on windows..

New Contributor

There where two reasons why i decided to use Intellij. The first is that i am usign it anyway for Java Development (mainly JSF), beeing able to use the same IDE for ActionScript is real advantage for me. The second reason is that i'm developing on Linux, i found no other good IDE for ActionScript on linux.

I have tried both Flash Develop and Flash Builder and both are really good but both are not available for linux.

For Flash Builder there is an official plugin and a guide from RIM. There is a good how to for using Flash Develop by studiochris. I found nothing about intellij on this forum and that is the reason why i made this post.

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

But flash builder is just eclipse with support for actionscript and building flash apps so you could have just used eclipse for java, and buy flashbuilder and you are out the same amount. I have nothing against using the tools you like (I love jEdit for example) but eclipse is bEcomin the base for so many other IDEs and tools it is really good to know.
New Contributor

But Flash Builder on linux is discontinued.

Adobe will no longer be investing in the development of a version of Adobe® Flex® Builder™ or Adobe Flash® Builder™ that runs on Linux operating systems. 

This is actually the main reason why i am using Intellij. I know eclipse very well (i use it every day), i only recently tried Intellij and was really convinced by it. And when i saw that had support for ActionScript i wanted to know if it would work for PlayBook development. After succefully setting up a project i thought maybe someone else would be interested by this, that's why i wrote the little tutorial. 

I don't want to convince anybody to switch the IDE, i just wanted to show another one that can be used for ActionScript development thats all.  

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

[ Edited ]

Does your tutorial work also with the free Community Edition?

As a student I can use the Adobe campus licence, but I hate booting up Windows for that purpose. I'd perfer to stay in Linux...

Update

Okay, it does not work. The Community Edition is for Java and Groovy(?) only.

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Best thing to do is give it a shot.  I know I had issues with 4.0 under Linux so we converted the machine to Windows7.