Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Playbook hands on in London

@appstorelover: they actually had a "hands on" playbook time event in NYC a month ago or so. saw the tweet and the same contest. it was more of a "meet the playbook" at that point i believe. its just timing that has changed the theme of the two events in my opinion. back then they wouldnt let anyone touch it. now they've become much more liberal about it.

and i agree with john. just because it is being released here first doesnt mean its the primary market. the asian market is HUGE from what i've seen in the past. the only reason why we arent fully aware of it is because the average consumer only hears about his / her own market and not all the others.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

kdittyr wrote:
I could have sworn that during the webcasts they said gps was going to be built in... Does anyone else remember that?

I not only remember it, I documented the several mentions of GPS in that webcast, in my "webcast 5 of 5" article, including at least one unequivocal statement to that effect.

The problem is, it was developer types mentioning it, not product managers or others who make official pronouncements about such things.  And I still think there's room for them to say "oh, yeah, sorry... we just meant the GPS in your BlackBerry" or even "well, at the time we thought it would be in but the marketing guys decided it had to be left out; sorry about that".  I doubt they have failed to mention it because of the effect on battery life (since "normal use" doesn't really need a GPS) but it might have been left unmentioned because they haven't figured out what price to sell it at, and need the extra margin to maneuver in case Apple or someone starts a bit of a price war.

When I see it in the official "specs" PDF on the blackberry.com site, or am holding a PB in my greedy little hands and see the GPS icon in the status bar, then I'll believe it. Smiley Happy

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

I would think the WiFi version will NOT have GPS since it requires being tethered to your BB phone to use the web.

I do think the 4G version will...or should anyways since it will be a network connected device
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

Now, I'm not a blackberry user but I have never found blackberry maps to be all that appealing to use.

Without a fancy maps app,  perhaps it just isn't a priority to them. Or, like mentioned earlier, they're waiting to see what apple does and will adjust their device accordingly (mainly price wise as the iPad already has gps in the connected version).

Don't forget a 4g version could have triangulation, and not real GPS. It isn't perfect but perhaps it saves them space and cost in the device.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Got another message about the London meeting which included the following:

"You will not be allowed to take any photos or record video at the event, this event is focused on AIR/Flash application development for the BlackBerry PlayBook and we will not be able to comment on product information that has not already been publicly announced."

My emphasis in bold.

Developer
My Carrier: Sprint

This basically sounds like the BlackBerry Developer Day in Atlanta, GA that occurred recently - they showed the PlayBook and took questions, but anything that hadn't already been announced was just met with a "We can't comment on that at this time".

Andrew Cowart | Metova
www.metova.com
Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

The problem is, it was developer types mentioning it, not product managers or others who make official pronouncements about such things.

Yes, of course...  I would like an official statement on GPS's inclusion or exclusion.  I would hope they would include it, even in the WIFI version because GPS data is extremely useful with or without cellular connections.

I would also like to see a compass included...  while many might find that trivial it can also come in handy.

tensioncore wrote:
I would think the WiFi version will NOT have GPS since it requires being tethered to your BB phone to use the web.

You will not be required to tether to your BlackBerry phone when on the go...  unless you choose to be.  I don't have a BlackBerry phone and am currently deciding what I want to dump my iphone for:  BlackBerry or Android.  It would be a very cool move if RIM decided to allow tethering of any smart phone, though using a BB would enable enhanced PIM abilities.  I know that is not in the plan thus-far, but it would be cool.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

I've been joking with my fiancée about how I'm going to have to trade my iPhone in for a blackberry now - the joke being it's never going to happen. Wifi hotspot is coming to iPhone at some point, and I use web based calendar services that can all be loaded through gmail. I think that's the nice thing about the PlayBook: Better with a blackberry, still great without it.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Highlighted
Contributor

Well I went to the hands on with the playbook, these are my personal impressions.

- Nothing new was said.

- More of a marketing event than technical.

- The Playbook was designed to support Flash.

- Half a sentence hinting there may be a new software release (SDK? simulator?) in a few weeks

- No official release date for UK (can we assume the initial release will be US and Canada only?)

- There were 2 tracks, Business and Techinical, I was in the Tech track and the Adobe guys came in late explaining that there demo in the Business side had failed, so we got no demo of the playbook on the big screen, and the Adobe guys struggled to show much about the playbook, there seemed more about Live Cycle.

- Nothing about GPS, and some of the slides mentioned geo-location, which may just mean that AIR can support it but no mention of any hardware in the Playbook.

- Mentioned that registration for BB AppWorld and to submit apps is currently free, this may change in the future

- BB AppWorld client 2.1 coming soon, this is needed for the Playbook.

- For any info on the OS and Simulator, you should get it first on the developers blog

- Finger size is rekoned to be about 40 pixels, so allow for UI components that can manage this finger size.

After all the sessions had finished there were free drinks and canapes, and a long queue to use the playbook. Waited until the queue had gone and spent about 15 minutes with the device, which was locked to a display stand, and there was always a BB employee with you. I was told that the hardware and software was a few weeks old, which was used to explain any problems or glitches. The device seemed fast and I used various games and the browser.

Spoke to a few developers that were coding for the Playbook, and they all were using Flex components, so their apps could be quickly ported to Android. I have been experimenting with the QNX UI components, and will now try the Flex components. I have some issues with QNX stuff so may take the path that most other people are taking and stick to Flex components which make it a lot easier to port.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Interesting event... I look forward to getting my hands on this device as well.  Thanks for posting your thoughts and experience. I am sure there will be an OS honing period where they will be putting out regular updates to solidify the user experience and software set. Let's hope there is a solid release with as few growing pains as possible.

I am looking to build applications for the Playbook and then quickly release them to Android platforms as well which is why I have been sticking to flex mobile components rather than qnx.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators